Finance Data Analyst
Octopus Energy US
IT, Accounting & Finance, Data Science
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2023
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
At Octopus, we’ve built the technology to serve millions of customers and handle the billions of pounds worth of customer transactions that this entails. We’re looking for a data analyst to support our finance teams to help us collate, analyse and report on this data and to help maintain and build our automated data processes.
As a data team we’ve developed a modern Cloud based data platform (AWS, Databricks, dbt, Airflow, Jupyter, Tableau) to serve hundreds of data users across the whole business. We’re passionate about automating work loads and processes so we can concentrate on the interesting problems. You’ll work closely with the finance and collections teams to build new reports, dashboards, pipelines and processes and provide analysis and insight to help them answer their questions and be more efficient.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work at the intersection of finance and data for a business that is at the forefront of the net zero transition.
What you'll do
- Become a subject matter expert on our finance systems and data
- Build, maintain and assure reports for the finance teams
- Help with one off deep dive analyses and reconciliations using SQL and Python
- Build and maintain dashboards and data apps for the finance teams
- Build new dbt SQL data models for use in dashboards
- Provide analytical and data support for financial audits and regulatory reporting
- Contribute to our finance technology strategy
- Work with global finance teams in our 9 Octopus regions to share tools and spread best practices
- Work closely with a broad range of teams at Octopus
What you'll need
- Accounting experience - has a good grasp of accounting principles
- Experience working with accounting systems (e.g. Netsuite) a bonus
- Curious and self driven - when faced with a new problem is capable of seeking out an answer without lots of help and support
- Highly data literate and numerate - can make sense of lots of data and shape it into a coherent story
- Has great attention to detail
- Learns fast and is enthusiastic about learning new technologies
- Great communicator, can explain complex technical problems to non-technical teams
It would be great if you had experience with...
- A scripting language (ideally Python)
- Wrangling data outside of a spreadsheet environment
- Writing accurate and performant queries in SQL
- Working in a modern cloud data warehouse environment
- Working collaboratively on codebases using git
- Building reports and dashboards
- Experience working in dbt a bonus
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people. We’ve also been placed in the top 10 companies for senior leadership
- Visit our UK perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.
See more open positions at Octopus Energy US
Something looks off?