Mission Planner and Controller
Near Space Labs
Near Space Labs is leading the next generation of Earth imaging. We design, build and operate a fleet of proprietary, stratospheric balloons called Swiftys. Our Swiftys fly to the edge of space to deliver high quality, highly updated imagery of our planet at down to earth prices.
Our innovations don’t stop at image capture. Customers need us to process and serve data in a format that is easily accessible for their data scientists, product managers, geographers, and remote sensing specialists. We make it easy for them to quickly and seamlessly evaluate the dynamics of our planet, climate, and urban environments.
Flight Operations is a fast-paced and growing organization responsible for the operation and launch of Swiftys (stratospheric vehicles) throughout the United States to meet our customer imaging and data needs. We are seeking a dynamic aviation operations professional to add to our Mission Planning & Control Team. As a Mission Planning & Control Specialist, you will be responsible for planning and managing flight activity in collaboration with both internal and external stakeholders for our flight teams operating throughout the United States.
As part of our rapidly growing Mission Control Team within the Flight Operations Department of Near Space Labs, you will not only be involved in the excitement of a successful startup, but you will also have the opportunity to contribute to the growth of the department. This role is remote and will support operations nationwide. The successful candidate will be working closely with the field operations team and planning team to successfully execute day-to-day operations.
- Plan, create, and execute flight trajectories utilizing internal planning software and external software tools;
- Ensure constant accurate data for flight performance is entered into AirTable;
- Evaluate and interpret weather maps for flight campaigns based upon ideal flight weather requirements;
- Responsible for the successful execution of flight trajectories during in-flight phase of Swifty launches while ensuring the safety of the equipment, staff, and community throughout launch and landing;
- Maintain the company's well standing relationship with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)’s Air Traffic Control - National Airspace System. ;
- Coordinate flights with the appropriate ARTCCs, Approach controls, and any local towers in a timely manner;
- Conduct meetings regarding Mission Control operational processes, policies, and procedures with both internal and external stakeholders;
- Provide feedback on both mission control and flight operational department processes and procedures for continuous improvement;
- Generate failure reports for malfunctions and abnormalities seen with the Swifty in flight;
- Collaborate with Field Operations leaders and Flight Technicians during mission planning and execution;
- Contribute to team meetings in a positive and productive manner, adapting approach as the team grows and policies are created, to ensure that the meetings are effective and productive;
- Collaborate with Flight Vehicle Engineering team to support future technologies as they relate to regulation and airspace;
- Adjust to changing priorities, multiple demands, and irregular operations including, but not limited to, emergency response planning support;
- Willingness to travel up to 10% of the time to support operations (travel is more frequent while training for this role);
- Work a 4 day on 3 day off schedule to support our flight teams operating nationwide 7 days a week, including all domestic time zones, weekends, and holidays.
- 3+ years experience working in an aviation role - ideally: operations control center, pilot, dispatcher, FAA controller, meteorology, or other related fields;
- 1+ years experience and/or capability to read and interpret weather forecasts via multiple weather forecasting tools;
- Well versed in airspace regulation and airspace maps;as well as terrain and street maps;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize workload effectively;
- Use of good judgment and effective decision making in stressful situations;
- Collaborative and a self starter in the contribution to long-term regulation projects;
- Strong time-management skills and experience in deadline-driven environments;
- Natural problem solver and vocal on process and operational improvements;
- Mitigate short and long-term risks while working outside the box in difficult situations;
- Excellent organizational, communication and project management skills;
- Ability to learn in a dynamic environment;
- Bachelors in STEM field or equivalent experience preferred;
- Technical understanding of software embedded hardware preferred; and
- Start-up experience or knowledge preferred.
Compensation and Benefits:
- $65,000+ annual salary, depending on experience;
- 200 hours annual Paid Time Off;
- 72 hours sick leave;
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage;
- Monthly learning & development reimbursement;
- Opportunities to grow within the organization.
- This is a remote position that supports teams across the United States.
Near Space Labs requires that all employees who will be meeting with other employees or clients in person or conducting any other face-to-face business be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Except where an exemption or accommodation applies, non-vaccinated team members are not currently allowed to meet with other employees in person or conduct face-to-face business at this time. Fully vaccinated means that you are at least two weeks past your final vaccination date.
What we offer:
- An exciting startup culture where you will have the opportunity to play a critical role in building and scaling a one-of-a-kind technology and organization.
- You will be part of an enthusiastic, international and motivated team of professionals who are committed to building unique technologies, being rigorous, and finding novel solutions to interesting problems.
- A diverse and inclusive workplace where we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
- A commitment that you will never be bored.
Equal employment opportunity:
Near Space Labs is committed to diversity in our organization and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Something looks off?