Senior Motor Control / Firmware Engineer
Gradient’s mission is to cool the world by transforming every home to be more comfortable and healthy for the people who inhabit it — without compromising the environment. Today, heating and cooling equipment emit more greenhouse gas emissions than the entire transportation sector, and expansion in the use of cooling is projected to double these emissions in the next 30 years. However, comfortable buildings are critical for health and productivity, especially among communities that are vulnerable to the effects of climate change. Gradient’s vision is a future where everyone has access to comfortable buildings that are fully decarbonized. Our first product is a direct-to-consumer high-efficiency and low-carbon heat pump.
We are looking for a Senior Motor Control / Firmware Engineer who is an enthusiastic developer, likes to solve meaningful problems, and can support overall firmware, controls, & electronics strategy. The ideal candidate is very adaptable and technically minded while having an uncompromising focus and vision for our customers’ needs.
A reasonable estimate of the current salary range for this role is $130,000-$190,000
- Push the envelope for motor control systems to ever greater performance
- Optimize BLDC motor controls and power controls to provide best in class efficiency
- Contribute and collaborate to design and develop our embedded firmware systems
- Turn white papers and ideas from our research and product teams into production level features
- Work cross-functionally with the business and product teams to define the requirements for our product roadmap
- Expert in Embedded C
- 5+ years of firmware development experience in production environments
- Knowledge of serial communications protocols such as USB, SPI, I2C, UART
- Experience implementing real-time feedback controls such as PID in production environments
- Experience with developing production quality, application level algorithms
- Experience with benchmarking and optimizing algorithms for real-time OS
- BS Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics or similar
- Proven track record of shipping high-quality electronics and software in consumer products on a tight schedule
- Proficiency reading and interpreting schematics
- Proficient in Python and other automation languages
- Experience implementing advanced model-based controls such as Smith predictor, LQR, feedback linearization in production environments
- Experience with high power BLDC/PMSM motor control
- Experience with Altium or similar ECAD software
- Medical/vision/dental/life/disability insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits
- Unlimited PTO within reason
- Relocation package ( out of state applicants only )
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive company. We seek to create a culture where everyone can belong because we believe that people do their best work when they can show up every day as their authentic selves. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Gradient Comfort is an equal opportunity employer. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law.