Flexibility Embedded Data Engineer
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2024
The Flexibility team sits inside the Octopus Energy group, where its sole purpose is to make the most of the renewables we already have, and drastically reduce the need for burning fossil fuels at times when renewables aren't so abundant. Flexibility unlocks massive potential for people like you and me to save and even earn money through their energy choices. It will also reduce the burden of potentially expensive infrastructure updates.
But what does ‘energy flexibility’ actually mean?
The eternal challenge of every energy system is how to keep the grid in balance: matching energy supply (the power from the generators) and energy demand (the power people and businesses are using) to ensure they're equal at any given moment. The energy grid needs to have the wiggle room (flexibility) to adapt easily when either supply or demand changes unexpectedly.This is really quite important: if things become unbalanced, there can be power cuts or system overloads which can damage grid infrastructure.
In systems designed for huge coal power plants, flexibility has been fairly simple. Whenever people need more power, we've just burned more dirty fossil fuels, and that's the system we've all been comfortable with for hundreds of years. With renewables, things aren't so simple. You can't just switch on the sun to meet energy demand whenever we need it.
At the same time, our energy needs have become more complicated, with electric cars, heat pumps, batteries and more becoming the norm.
At a glance the Flexibility team have already delivered a host of innovative projects, encouraging people to use power flexibly such as:
- Saving Sessions
- Smart tariffs like Intelligent Octopus Go
- Winter Workout
About the role
We’re looking for someone to join the Flexibility data pod to help us use data to deliver new flexibility products, services and trials and improve and optimise our existing ones. . As an embedded data engineer you’ll take responsibility for building data pipelines, integrations, transformations and data applications to be used by our data analysts, scientists and the wider team. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working throughout the data stack from deploying infrastructure to writing SQL transformations and building data applications. As an embedded data engineer you’ll be working directly with the Flexibility team members to understand and deliver their requirements. This role will suit someone who likes to work directly on business problems, enjoys being part of a fast paced, iterative and sometimes messy environment and knows how to deliver to the right level of accuracy for the problem at hand.
This is your chance to make a big impact on a rapidly growing part of Octopus.
We run a modern cloud data platform made up of the below components:
- AWS cloud infrastructure
- Databricks Delta Lake for data lake and warehouse storage and querying
- dbt for data modelling and transformations
- Spark for large data processing
- Python data ecosystem as main scripting and analytics language
- Jupyter and Jupyter Hub for notebook analytics and collaboration
- Airflow for task scheduling
- Google Analytics, Amplitude and Firebase for client applications event processing
- Kubernetes for data services and task orchestration
- Github, Circle CI, Grafana and Prometheus for version control, deployment and monitoring
What you'll do
- Building and maintaining data pipelines to capture data from a variety of sources such as APIs, Google Analytics and Google Sheets
- Building and maintaining the dbt codebase to manage data transformations
- Building and maintaining BI dashboards and data apps to serve the wider business
- Working with stakeholders to understand and guide requirements
- Working with other OE regions to internationalise tooling
- Collaborate on project CrowdFlex which looks to understand consumer demand and domestic flexibility
What you'll have
- Comprehensive knowledge of data design, data modelling, data management, and data visualisation.
- Experience in a scripting language - ideally Python with knowledge of data science tooling such as Pandas, Numpy and Requests
- Experience with writing queries in SQL - DBT is a bonus
- Experience building software in a collaborative environment using Github for source control
- Experience with task management / orchestration systems such as Airflow is a bonus
- Knowledge of AWS infrastructure. Experience with Terraform is a bonus.
- Knowledge of the energy system is desirable but not essential - we can teach you
- Be comfortable working with some ambiguity: The Flexibility team is busy scaling and as such specific responsibilities, projects and focus will evolve over time
- Be curious and self driven - it’s essential you have the initiative to make decisions yourself, and can find solutions to novel problems without lots of help and support
- Be highly data literate and numerate - can make sense of lots of data and shape it into a coherent structure
- Be a problem solver - you’ll need to be able to listen and understand the problems and requirements of the business and come up with pragmatic data solutions
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy Group is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people. We’ve also been placed in the top 10 companies for senior leadership and most recently The Sunday Times, Best Places To Work 2023
- Visit our UK perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits