Embedded Systems Engineer
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2024
The energy industry is undergoing the largest transformation since industrialisation at an unprecedented rate of change and we are positioning ourselves to be at the heart of that change.
Our aim is to be the leading global provider of solutions that enable customers to release £30bn of value per annum from distributed energy resources (DERs). We are building a Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription business with a global addressable market of £2.4 billion per annum, by digitally connecting hundreds of thousands of DERs with energy markets.
We have already attained a market leading position and KrakenFlex is a recognised thought leader and innovator in the industry. Our efforts have not gone unnoticed and we are pleased to announce that we now have the full support and backing of Octopus Energy, an award-winning UK energy supplier who share our passion and values.
As we enter a stage of rapid commercialisation and growth, we’re looking for an established Embedded Systems Engineer to help us deploy thousands of smart assets and accelerate the rollout of our Demand Side Response (DSR) offerings in the UK.
Working alongside our software development and engineering team you will be responsible for helping evolve our gateway hardware, software, and core infrastructure. KrakenFlex connects to a range of energy assets ranging from small industrial heat pumps, to wind farms. A key enabler to this is the KrakenFlex Gateway, a small industrial PC containing a custom application designed to communicate with assets locally and safely communicate with our cloud platform. This role will help us expand the range of assets we can connect to and enable us to participate in energy services.
The Embedded Systems Engineer will also be responsible for helping build a new product offering which is designed to be a lightweight data capture tool, similar to the KrakenFlex Gateway, but designed to connect to smaller domestic assets using Modbus/TCP, GPIO, and Zigbee.
What you'll do
- Help build out our new smart energy hardware/software offering designed to provide energy services to a range of energy assets such as electric vehicle charging points, heat pumps, home batteries, and solar systems
- Build out our IoT skills inhouse and deploy thousands of smart assets
- Enhance our gateway and development infrastructure inducing testing environment, deployment process and pipelines
What you'll need
- Strong software development background
- Experience with AWS IoT or similar cloud IoT systems
- Coding experience in C and other low level programming languages
- Experience with remote update/configuration tools such as Mender/Chef.
- Experience with Free RTOS and other microcontroller operating systems.
- Low level operating experience (GPIO, hardware watchdogs)
- Familiarity with configuration and management of the Linux Operating System
- It would be great if you had experience or knowledge either in the field of electrical engineering or with the energy system
Why else you'll love it here
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about!
- What do you get? Click here
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.