Planning Permission Team Lead
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2024
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality. Octopus Energy Services is spearheading the transition to greener, cheaper energy through the installation of in-home technologies; from smart meters and EV chargers; to low carbon heating, home batteries, solar, and beyond.
We’ve fallen head-over-heels in love with renewable tech, which will reduce a customer’s carbon footprint and give them control over their energy use. We are looking for experienced planning and technical experts who share our vision: help customers move away from fossil fuels, towards sustainable, smart technologies.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an expert in UK planning policies to join us as a Planning Team Lead in either Brighton or Manchester. At Octopus we want to make it super easy to ditch gas boilers and decarbonise home heating by installing super efficient heat pumps.
Channelling our innovative spirit we’re standing up the UK's first heat pump specific planning service, to remove one more hurdle for our customers on their low carbon heating journey.
We are looking for a forward thinking planning expert who knows UK planning processes backwards and can lead a team of AutoCAD & planning specialists to deliver planning approvals for heat pump customers across the country.
What you'll do
- Be the owner for our planning service. You’ll be responsible for the delivery of successful applications for our customers as well as spearheading projects to ease planning requirements for customers installing low carbon tech.
- Submit, advise on and track all planning applications.
- Report on the performance of our planning function, ensuring applications are completed quickly and accurately for our customers.
- Share your extensive knowledge with our sales & customer support teams to enable them to have well-informed conversations with our customers.
- Lead a team of AutoCAD technicians and planning support specialists to ensure applications & designs meet required specifications and standards.
- Undertake projects to deliver service improvements to our planning function and strive for continuous improvement.
What you'll need
- A recognised degree or relevant experience in UK planning policies & applications.
- Comprehensive knowledge & understanding of the professional & practical application of planning legislation, policy, procedures and related planning matters. Experience providing professional advice in a local authority context is preferred.
- To be able to effectively lead and inspire a team - this is key!
- To be a starter-finisher, & a go-getter, with a drive to seek out improvements and deliver them.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- To be a team player and relationship builder. The ability to build great working relationships with people across cultures and perspectives.
- To be positive and proactive, and energised by working in a fast-paced environment characterised by constant change. You think creatively and logically to react to changes in strategy.
- A high level of adaptability and agility to manage multiple projects at one time (we are growing quickly!)
- To be someone who establishes and works with a network quickly to deliver promptly, with a focus on quality and delivery
- You will be analytical, seeking out data and using this to inform your decisions
- Energy industry experience is desirable but by no means essential! You’ll quickly pick up what you need to know.
- AutoCAD experience is desirable but not essential.
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we we're voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.