Staff Engineer 🇯🇵 (Python/Django)
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2024
About Octopus Energy and Kraken
Since 2015, Octopus has been on a mission to bring affordable, green energy to the world. With the help of our in-house technology platform, Kraken, we’ve become the 2nd largest energy supplier in the UK, opened retailers in seven other countries, and licensed our software to retail giants including E.ON and EDF in the UK, Origin Energy in Australia and Tokyo Gas in Japan. We’ve reinvented energy products with smart, data-driven tariffs to balance customer demand with renewable generation - and we’re the biggest investor in renewable generation in the UK.
We've since expanded globally and are now looking for a Staff Software Engineer, based in Japan. Our main hub is in Tokyo but it's not a requirement to work there.
We're looking for someone with a general interest in technology and problem-solving; someone diligent and thoughtful. As a staff engineer level hire into the team you will have a big impact on strategy and cross-functional collaboration with other teams and business areas, as well as mentoring your colleagues. Working with Kraken is a chance to join an exciting scale-up business within the energy supply sector, one that’s changing the landscape of the energy industry across the world.
Our team and our tech
All technology is written and maintained by a global, multi-disciplinary team of around 500 engineers. This includes server-side, client-side and mobile engineers working closely with UX experts, copywriters and designers. We’re low on process, with a high level of trust given to individuals.
Most of our server-side applications are written in Python. The Kraken platform is built using Django and Celery, and makes extensive use of GraphQL and REST APIs.
We use an immutable infrastructure approach to manage our AWS environments. We heavily use EKS, RDS Aurora, AmazonMQ, S3 and EventBridge in our platform architecture. We practise continuous deployment and release new versions of Kraken around 200 times per day.
Engineering standards are high. We pair program, thoroughly review and test code before it deploys, and maintain fast, high-value test suites. We have weekly tech talks, a day a month devoted to sharpening our internal tools, upgrading dependencies, paying off technical debt - we call it “spa day” - and we can often be found at tech meet-ups and conferences.
What you'll do
- Drive architectural and system design decisions across the engineering team. The energy market is complicated, outdated, and process-heavy - there's an awful lot of domain modelling that we need to get right. Strong attention to detail is essential.
- Take ownership of critical parts of the product, ensuring their reliability and scalability. For example, Kraken processes millions of smart meter readings a day, so there are many difficult technical problems to solve.
- Influence strategic technical decision making.
- Lead large, strategic engineering initiatives.
- Work cross-functionally, collaborating with different team leaders and engineering professionals from other business areas.
- Be a role model and mentor to your colleagues, including Senior Engineers.
- Help build and scale the Kraken team by embedding an engineering, problem solving, and customer-first culture.
- Architect & develop new components of the Kraken platform to serve other utilities.
- Work for a company that’s fighting climate change. Our parent company is the largest investor in solar generation in the UK and is funding wind and anaerobic digestion. As a supplier, we're helping people to use greener technology and renewable energy, all helping move the world towards a lower carbon future.
What you'll have
- We're looking for someone with a general interest in technology and problem-solving; someone diligent and thoughtful. It would be helpful to have experience/expertise in the following (in rough priority order):
- Django (or equiv. web framework)
- Domain modelling
- HTTP and REST APIs
- Writing robust and fault-tolerant software
- Celery and async processing
- Terraform, Packer, Consul
- React and Redux
- Ability to speak Japanese would be a plus
Plus experience in the following would be a bonus:
What you'll love about us
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you