Data Engineer (Senior - No Japanese Requirement)
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2024
About Octopus Energy
Since 2015, Octopus has been on a mission to bring affordable, green energy to the world. With the help of our in-house developed technology platform, Kraken, we’ve become the 4th largest energy supplier in the UK, opened retailers in 7 other countries, and licensed our software to retail giants including E.ON in the UK, Origin Energy in Australia, and Tokyo Gas in Japan. We’ve reinvented energy products with smart, data-driven tariffs to balance customer demand with renewable generation - and we’re the biggest investor in renewable generation in the UK.
Since we have expanded our tentacles to Japan we are looking to hire a Data Engineer. This role is based in Tokyo primarily to support Octopus Energy Japan and Kraken deployments for Japanese customers, but will be part of the wider APAC data platform engineering team.
Working with Octopus Energy is a chance to join an exciting scale-up business within the energy supply sector, one that’s at the forefront of changing the landscape of the energy industry worldwide. A role with us offers you the chance to contribute to building world-class operations that will catapult you into a fantastic career.
About the team
At Octopus we have developed a platform to provide data services to our retail businesses and clients across 17 deployments globally.
The data platform engineering team develops and manages the back-end systems and processes supporting this platform, predominantly working with time-series data fed into the system by our customers’ smart meters. We have developed a suite of applications to process, transform, and make this data available to downstream services.
To process the volume of data we typically see, our applications run PySpark or dbt jobs using Databricks as our Spark engine. We leverage Airflow and Kubernetes heavily. We also employ software engineering best practices to design, test, and deploy our data platform and services.
About the role
This is a fantastic opportunity to work on data problems that genuinely move us closer to Net Zero with a company that is passionate about building great technology to change the way customers use energy.
As a data engineer, you will be responsible for maintaining and supporting the constant improvement of our data platform. As well as working on our core datalake transformations you may be developing custom applications to process third-party data, managing infrastructure in our AWS deployment, or working to expand our presence across our APAC (Australia, New Zealand, Japan) deployments.
- Developing and deploying dbt pipelines to support internal analytics teams
- Maintaining and managing data platform infrastructure
- Supporting our core PySpark data pipeline to feed data to downstream applications
- Responding to internal requests
- We are looking for a hire who will self-manage, adapt to our changing business requirements, and proactively work to scope problems and deliver pragmatic solutions.
- You have experience:
- Working with Terraform and Kubernetes
- Building applications in Python
- Developing data transformation pipelines in SQL or dbt
- Working in a Spark or Databricks environment
- Working in a software or data engineering environment
- Fluent level English for interacting with the Japan and global Kraken team. Japanese level - nice to have
- We also want our data engineers to be great software engineers with a passion for writing quality code, so it would be helpful to have experience in at least some of the following:
- Cloud data platforms (Ideally AWS)
- Version control and DevOps best practices
What you'll love about us
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you