Android Developer - Kraken Field
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2024
Kraken is the technology tentacle of the Octopus Energy Group.
We’re looking for a mobile developer to join Octopus’s rapidly expanding home retrofitting tech platform, Kraken Field.
About Kraken Field
We’re making converting homes to green electrons as simple as possible, by building a giant integrated platform to enable engineers to retrofit homes with smart meters, solar panels, heat pumps, and EV chargers.
We’re busy launching in new countries, working with ever more engineers and tech partners, building exciting new features at scale, and creating the integrated solution to retrofit homes across the world - all in the name of making it as easy and cheap as possible for customers to go green.
Kraken Field is a multifunctional team made up of product, backend, design, mobile, web and more - all focused together on making Octopus the go-to name in green home installations. And we’re looking for smart individuals with an interest in the space who can help us make it happen.
Mobile development at Octopus
As well as being part of Kraken Field you’ll be part of a large team of mobile developers across Octopus with projects spanning Electric Vehicles, Energy usage flexibility, Energy accounts, Smart home devices, Acquisitions and Engineer solutions.
All our apps are built with declarative UI frameworks (Jetpack Compose & SwiftUI), all our APIs are built in GraphQL, and we use a modern selection of libraries and software development techniques.We have projects in pure Android/Kotlin, others in pure iOS/Swift and we also use Kotlin Multiplatform in larger projects to share code between native codebases.
—Don’t think you check off the requirements below? We love hiring passionate people with a drive to learn so drop us a speculative application—
About you & what you’ll do
- You’ll be someone who thrives on uncertainty and loves to make an impact.
- You’ll be passionate about what you do and that shows through your enthusiasm and communication.
- Your values will align with that of the company’s, you’ll care about sustainability and creating a better future for our planet.
- You’ll enjoy contributing across the whole development process including design, product management and stay on top of upcoming technologies that could benefit the business.
- The home retrofitting industry and Kraken Field as a product are rapidly expanding, and are a hugely important part of decarbonising the planet - you’ll have big responsibility from day one and really help influence how we scale the technology to make that happen.
- Be able to discuss vision and features within a team and propose creative solutions
- Be proficient with Kotlin and have experimented with other programming languages
- Have a good knowledge of Jetpack Compose having used it in a professional environment
- Be passionate about app architecture and can talk about the benefits and drawbacks of various patterns (MVC, MVVM, Redux)
- Be passionate about great app design and user experience
- Have used GraphQL or are interested in learning
- Have knowledge of reactive libraries, offline storage, API integration, and testing
- Be familiar with source control best practices and continuous integration
- Be excited to explore cross platform code sharing solutions (whilst keeping the UI 100% native)
Non requirements but a bonus if you do have experience in any of these areas!
- Professional use of Kotlin Multiplatform
- Exposure to Compose Multiplatform
- Professional iOS development experience
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.