Senior Frontend Developer - Octopus Energy Engineering
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2024
We believe energy should be better - for you and the environment.
We’re a leading energy technology (EnTech) company, providing a better experience for our customers through transparency, honesty and simplicity. Better for the planet, through real long-term investment in renewable generation and a low CO2 future. We make energy green and flexible for consumers, with fair and transparent pricing.
We're on a mission to make energy greener, fairer, and genuinely better for people. Our global energy revolution is backed by Generation, the sustainable fund co-chaired by Al Gore. To succeed with this mission, we need excellent technical people who want to use their skills on the biggest challenge the planet is facing.
We’re proud to be Europe's best-funded green tech start-up, and one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work. We’re also the most awarded energy supplier in the UK, and have been Which? Recommended six years running.
What will you be doing?
Octopus Energy Engineering is responsible for the sites, services, and tariffs that are used by the millions of Octopus Energy customers worldwide. From building the latest, cutting-edge time-of-use tariffs, to helping customers actually enjoy tasks like providing meter readings through our wheel of fortune - and everything in between.
You’ll find a wide variety of challenges in the work we do as we help push the energy revolution forward. Our teams are multi-disciplined and collaborate between countries, meaning you have what you need to get the right people together and build the next great thing.
How do we work?
We’ve got an important, urgent mission to bring affordable, green energy to the world, and every person at Octopus works relentlessly to make that change happen fast. We work with freedom and responsibility. You'll get a lot of trust to run with ideas and take ownership of what you do.
Our founder Greg has a theory that building a great team should be like building a dry-stone wall: rather than forcing people into 'cuboids' and sticking them together in neat little rows, we take authentic humans, and find ways for them to fit together naturally to form a truly solid team full of unique perspectives and strengths. This way of working isn't for everyone. You have to drive your own work forward; be agile, flexible, and personally accountable for everything you do, from idea to conception. Through this though, you gain a true sense of ownership over the problems you’re solving, and the satisfaction of helping and supporting the millions of people who use what you make.
What you'll have...
- A very strong knowledge of our stack, listed below
- Experience taking problems, rather than strict guidelines, and developing strong solutions
- Confidence tackling large-scale tasks individually
- An empathetic approach to delegating work and collaborating with others
- The ability to develop websites that meet strong accessibility guidelines
- Experience building scalable, performant sites that handle high levels of traffic well
- GraphQL & Apollo
- Styled Components & SASS
- Jest & React Testing Library
Handy, but not essiential...
- Python knowledge (our back-end language of choice)
- Experience leading teams or mentoring other developers
- Experience working on a multi-national codebase
- Previous experience in the energy industry
Why else you'll love it here...
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we we're voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
We would prefer someone who can work in our London office but will consider remote candidates. However, you do need to be able to work in the UK.
We're very excited to be growing our team. We're looking for skills and experience to help shape and define the future of not only our team, but the wider business at a global scale. If you're reading this and grinning, please apply! There are huge challenges to tackle, and we need amazing people who are keen to get stuck in.