Investment Director - Development
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2024
As part of the wider Octopus Energy group, Octopus Energy Generation (“OEGEN”) sources, invests in and actively manages a range of utility scale renewable energy assets. Since entering the renewables market in 2010, OEGEN has grown to become one of the largest renewable investors in Europe. We are looking to expand our c.120 professionals team as we continue to scale our investments base of c£6bn and 3.5GW+ of renewable projects (mostly operational or in construction).
The OEGEN Development Team focuses on investing into the development stage of renewable energy.
We are flexible in our structuring and acquire equity stakes from minorities to 100% in renewable energy developers, enter into joint ventures and development service agreements. We invest from very early-stage/greenfield pipelines to mature companies. We get inspired by entrepreneurial management teams with whom we want to work long term and accelerate their growth not only through funding, but also through growth strategy coaching, filling skill gaps and bringing synergies with a wider Octopus business.
Our funds have mandates to invest into multiple renewable technologies, and our current portfolio includes developers of utility-scale solar, rooftop solar, onshore wind, floating offshore wind and storage. Our current coverage is the UK and Europe but we expand quickly globally. The team actively deploys several funds and has a mandate to invest more than £200m p.a.
Only in the last two years have we acquired stakes in or partnered with NorGen, Wind2, Simply Blue Energy, FFNEV, Zestec, Gridsource, Nexta, Exagen, BLCe, etc.
We are a team of fourteen people and keep growing. The team is split into origination/execution and portfolio management, everyone working on deals is involved on managing companies after acquisition. Seven out of twelve people have a first-hand experience in developing renewable projects. We speak five languages and come from seven nationalities. If you are interested in seeing our team, check out our profiles: Chris Gaydon, Julia Gubar, Barney Rhys Jones, Sarah Garfitt, James Parker, Sebastian Joo, Sonia De Sales, Santiago Cortezo, Tarek Sabbagh, Paridhi Poddar, Laura Powell, Virginia Nappi, Calum Mitchell, Ashleigh Hawkins.
We love the impact we create on the planet and communities, working with each other and have fun along the way. We have a culture of empowerment, without politics and hierarchies. We work and socialise closely with other teams at OEGEN living “one team, one dream” philosophy.
The Investment Director will be a key senior member of the OEGEN Development Team working closely with everyone at OEGEN. You are expected to champion Octopus’ culture, team spirit and be an antibody to politics.
Together with other directors in the Development Team, you will lead the team's overall investment strategy, setting objectives, delivering on them and setting the team’s culture.
We strongly encourage applications from a variety of candidates - we believe that different experiences result in increased ideas, collaboration and success. The first stage of the process will include a run through of our company culture, as well as a conversation around what is important for you in your next role.
What you'll do
- Be responsible for the overall team’s performance (including processes, training, team dynamic, recruitment, etc).
- Mentor and coach team members, take on people management responsibilities, set the team culture.
- Originate bilateral development deals in various countries and technologies to ensure a robust pipeline for all funds managed by OEGEN.
- Lead transaction execution including deal structuring, valuations; negotiate joint venture and partnership terms, corporate governance.
- Be responsible for the performance of our investments: supervise and manage the portfolio companies, potentially as a board member or an observer, and support the growth of teams that OEGEN has already invested in and work towards their value realisation.
- Lead fundraising efforts, including defining investment strategy, pitching to investors, fund structuring.
What you'll need
- Commercial mindset, able to own investment decision making.
- Be a pro-active and self-starting senior leader who has a strong sense of ownership, “can do” attitude, strong team spirit and ability to grow team members.
- Roll the sleeves attitude and willingness to work in a lean team.
- Track record in originating, securing exclusivities and valuing deals, especially among renewable developers in Europe.
- Experience in negotiating corporate governance structures, dilutions, shareholder agreements, joint ventures, framework agreements.
- Understanding of financial valuation theories coupled with core accounting and tax structuring skills.
- Project management and organisational skills. Evidence of managing complex workloads in a fast-paced environment and being able to execute transactions as a principal.
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we we're voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits