Senior TechOps Generalist
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2023
We’re looking for a seasoned generalist with a passion for tackling challenges, driving innovation and someone who, quite frankly, can help us with our big growing pains.
TechOps are on the lookout for a friendly and experienced Senior TechOps Generalist to join a small and dynamic team who look after ‘everything with a plug or password’ across the Octopus Energy Group.
What is TechOps?
It's a sleeker, leaner version of a traditional enterprise IT team, covering everything from frontline support to high-level strategic planning. At Octopus Energy, we're thrilled to build a tight-knit TechOps team and are on the lookout for an ambitious, knowledgeable, technically brilliant Senior TechOps Generalist to join us.
You'll be a key player in our team, handling the vast spectrum of global challenges and scaling problems across the company. Ambiguity and constant context switching won't faze you and you’ll thrive in the chaotic environment as we grow. We operate on almost 100% cloud infrastructure, exposing you to a diverse range of tools in every corner of our business.
What you'll do...
- Help us define TechOps at Octopus - you'll apply engineering firepower to navigate scaling challenges, help us build a world-class support service, and drive efficiency gains all over the business.
- Ensuring our lovely humans can work as efficiently as possible is at the heart of your role. Their problems are your problems.
- Designing and building systems and processes that empower and enable our staff to get on with their job without needing TechOps, while also improving our security posture.
- Tackling a long list of projects with professionalism, showcasing your vast expertise across various technologies.
- Prioritising human, friendly support over SLAs or ticket numbers, we aim to create experiences that make our people want to come back.
What you'll need...
- Expertise in Windows management with Autopilot, Intune and Chocolatey
- A wiz with PowerShell and bash scripting.
- macOS administration with ADE, Kandji, Munki and AutoPkg.
- Deep understanding of modern security principles and best practices.
- Architect-level experience on how systems, people and processes intertwine and enable a business.
- Can nurture, provide guidance and support teammates who are earlier on in their careers.
- Has a foundational understanding of programming and software engineering.
- Is comfortable using git and GitHub for code changes and CI/CD
- Can imagine and design entire systems and processes to automate repetitive manual tasks.
- Capable of building macOS apps with Swift
- Mastery of Identity & Access Management using Okta and Google Workplace.
- Is fully competent with Single Sign-On (SSO) technologies such as OAuth and SAML.
- Administration of identity provisioning technologies, including SCIM.
- Networking prowess to support our offices, utilising tools like Cisco Meraki.
Experience we're looking for...
- 5+ years of experience within a TechOps team, generalising across many different tech stacks, or
- 10+ years of experience within the traditional IT industry, specialising in different areas.
- Has been the technical lead on countless large-scale projects, across multiple technologies, in many different roles and companies.
- Confident, capable and eager to nurture, educate and mentor less experienced teammates gain confidence and experience across our tooling.
- However, this role will not involve directly managing people.
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people. We’ve also been placed in the top 10 companies for senior leadership
- Visit our UK perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits