Backend Developer (Kraken Siphon)
Remote · Spain
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2023
We build a core technology that allows Octopus Energy to interact with other utilities.
Our team’s cloud-native services have a strong code-as-infrastructure backbone, and we use both Kubernetes and Terraform configuration files to manage all of the hosted artefacts. We enable CI/CD with GitHub Actions. Engineers are encouraged to learn and extend our DevOps stack.
Our backend stack is a series of microservices written in purely functional Scala using the Cats Effect libraries (https://typelevel.org/cats-effect/): Http4s for the web host, fs2 for streaming, and Doobie for database access. The systems we maintain have extremely strict zero-downtime requirements, and we find this paradigm and set of technology choices give us the most resilient, type-safe, scaleable, and error-free software the fastest.
We use Python for most data manipulation, and have sophisticated tooling to make sure it blends beautifully with our Scala microservices.
We see data as the ‘hub of the wheel’ of everything we do, and use Apache Kafka extensively. All our microservices interact directly and indirectly with Kafka, shuttling data between services, as well as producing and consuming data events via Kafka streams.
What you'll do
- Work with experienced engineers on a modern platform with best-in-class tooling and mentorship
- Help grow a small team with a big product to a global scale in a few short months
- Be expected to be taken seriously about ideas about improving our software, designs, and extensions on day 0, regardless of comparative experience
- Aid in constructing core functionality to communicate with other utilities and market participants for Octopus Energy’s main software product, KrakenDevelop in both Scala and Python in a robust CI/CD environment
What you'll need
- Experience with Python and/or Scala
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills with an eagerness to learn about extraordinary resilient systems designed to keep data in motion
- Excitement about picking up new programming languages and paradigms
- Default behaviours of thorough detailed documentation of your technical work, preferences for highly interactive coding with colleagues, and rigorous testing
- Good understanding of SQL, microservice concepts, REST APIs, code-as-infrastructure principles, clustered environments such as Kubernetes, and best practices around continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD)
- We need you to speak technical Spanish and English.
- If you live in Valencia would be perfect, we have a really nice office. Don't worry if you live in another city, remote is OK for us!
Why else you'll love it here
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Bi-weekly on a Thursday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you