IT, Data Science
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2023
What we do. Electric Car Leasing
Why we do it. Greener. Fairer. Future.
At Octopus Electric Vehicles we’re developing a data platform that provides data services to all areas of our business. The aim of the platform is to enable self-service of data analytics of data hungry internal users as well as automation of all our data workflows - from simple ETL jobs to (future) ML training and prediction.
The data team at OEV is a newly established team and is growing at speed. We have invested time and resources on establishing a core data platform, and are now leveraging technology to automate processes and reporting, so we can focus on solving interesting problems and answering complex questions across the whole customer domain - from customer operations to financial modelling. We are looking for an experienced data analyst that is equally passionate about using technology to grow the business and decarbonise the UK’s fleet.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work on data problems that genuinely move us closer to Net Zero with a company that is passionate about building great technology to change the way customers travel sustainably.
What you'll do
- Collaborate with other teams to understand their challenges and identify opportunities for using data solutions to improve efficiency and/or drive informed decision making
- Build new data sources and data pipelines that deliver key data and insights to the business (this will include integration with third party systems and ingestion through APIs)
- Build tables and models in DBT that allow less technical users to self-serve and carry out their own reporting and analytics
- Build and maintain automated dashboards and reports that are effective in helping stakeholders monitor key performance indicators and easily make decisions
- Create frameworks and documentation to enable self-serve in the business (e.g. utilising data dictionaries, running onboarding workshops, coaching new users)
- Use data analytics and data science to help us work out what we do well, what we should improve, and what we should do next
- Help shaping the direction of our growing team
What you'll need
- Experience in the following (in rough priority order): SQL (experience in writing performant queries), Python, DBT, Data transformation, Data visualisation (dashboarding / BI tooling)
- At least 2-3 years of experience working in data teams
- It would be valuable to have experience working with ambiguity in a scale-up (or scale-up-like) environment
- You don’t need experience with electric vehicles (we can teach you that!), but having worked in similar environments might be a bonus.
- We want our people to have a passion for decarbonisation. You’ll have a keen interest in improving data literacy in a growing business, and using technology to automate processes so we can focus on interesting problems
- You’ll have a curious and self-driven approach, as well as the ability to extract clear objectives and requirements from broad challenges or questions
- You’ll have a real eagerness to get your hands dirty and work across the whole data lifecycle
- You’ll have great attention to detail
- You’ll have expertise in communicating complex ideas clearly, and a strong background in using data to influence decisions and behaviours
- You’ll have passion about shaping the direction of the team, and excitement about working across all areas of the business
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
The electric revolution has arrived - and from 2035 you’ll no longer be able to buy a new petrol or diesel car in the UK.
We’re building a whole new way for drivers to join the electric charge and not only learn about and shop for their EV online, but experience a 'lease for life' through an industry changing customer experience. This is the chance to join one of the UK’s most exciting start-ups – making it easy for individuals and businesses to go electric by getting their car, charger and energy all in one cracking deal.
Octopus Electric Vehicles launched in 2018 to make it seamless to switch to cleaner, greener driving. Our mission is to drive sustainable change, decarbonise the planet and provide our customers with fair pricing and a fantastic experience.
We're an Octopus Energy company—an innovative new energy supplier. We are part of the Octopus Energy Group, which seeks to improve the lives of millions of people by transforming the industries we operate in. The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Healthcare, Octopus Investments, Octopus Property, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs.
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.