Head of Networks
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2023
The energy industry is undergoing the largest transformation since industrialisation at an unprecedented rate of change and we are positioning ourselves to be at the heart of that change.
Our aim is to be the leading global provider of solutions that enable customers to release £30bn of value per annum from distributed energy resources (DERs). We are building a Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription business with a global addressable market of £2.4 billion per annum, by digitally connecting hundreds of thousands of DERs with energy markets.
We have already attained a market leading position and KrakenFlex is a recognised thought leader and innovator in the industry. Our efforts have not gone unnoticed and we are pleased to announce that we now have the full support and backing of Octopus Energy, an award-winning UK energy supplier who share our passion and values.
We're looking for a Head of Networks for our Network Intelligence product offering with a passion for renewable energy and the decarbonization mission, who wants to join a rapidly growing energy tech scale-up. This is a rare opportunity to lead the strategy and development of our Network monitoring business with an international industry leader.
You will be responsible for accelerating the growth of Kraken’s Network proposition by leading the company’s strategy and working closely with key energy stakeholders including regulators, network operators and vertically integrated utilities.
An ideal applicant will be an experienced leader, comfortable in external settings, adept at building deep stakeholder relationships, able to roll up their sleeves to understand the details of the product. You will work closely with a number of teams in the organisation.
What you'll do
- Revolutionise the way networks function, move beyond monitoring data to deep insights, combining data streams in novel ways, supporting network system operators move towards dynamic operation, synthesising and simplifying network intelligence. In short you will be key to the green network transition
- Create the strategy of the network intelligence value proposition.
- Manage the inherent tension between absolute security and reliability, and the change required in network operation to function in a high flexibility environment (high renewables penetration, high penetration of smart consumer loads, grid scale storage)
- Earn trust with key audiences including vertically integrated utilities, network operators and regulators.
- Provide thought leadership to influence legislation, regulatory frameworks and network operations, including contributing to the development of open markets for flexible assets (grid scale batteries, consumer DER)
- Develop relationships across the business, push thinking internally, create links between BAU activities .
- We have a track record of results globally in the policy space, and expect to have a measurable impact on how networks function in the coming decade as we expand our footprint – we’re looking for an inspirational leader who can drive results, create meaningful change and generate insights.
- Work with stakeholders across the business to accelerate our growth and close deals in both competitive and regulated markets - great ideas are only world changing when they are implemented
- Work closely with the product team to shape the product roadmap, consistent with achieving net zero through technological change at lowest cost.
What you'll need
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience, ideally in a similar role at another climate/energy tech software company
- Bachelor's degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- Demonstrated aptitude to both generate strategic insights and ensure detailed robust analysis?"
- Experience leading and developing of teams
- Track record of delivering results on high profile projects.
- Strong business judgement and the ability to prioritize issues that matter most to the bottom line and the green transition
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to synthesize complex topics into clear and simple messages
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work well with colleagues on the Kraken business development team, achieve objectives through effective influencing, and establish credibility with regulatory officials, utilities and other key stakeholders
- Comfort working with ambiguity in a low-structure, fast-paced environment, juggling multiple projects, and meeting tight deadlines
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
Ideally you will be based in the Greater Manchester and happy to come into the office a couple of days per week! But we appreciate that things have changed and flexibility is at the top of everyone's agenda, so if you would rather be remote please let us know.
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.