Social Media Specialist
Marketing & Communications
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2023
We are looking for an exceptionally talented, eager, go getting, Social Media Specialist to come join our growing in-house marketing team, to help us share some fresh ideas about energy with the world!
Octopus Energy is on a mission to make the world’s energy fair and green. We’re one of the UK’s largest energy suppliers, but we’re not like the rest. Out of 100,000+ reviews, 89% of customers rate us ‘Excellent’. All our power is renewable, we’ve never made a profit, and you can talk to our CEO on Twitter. Our team is made up of authentic, compassionate people who do the right thing for customers – so stuff like this and this happens often (and sometimes even this).
We’re looking for someone to oversee our comms and social media. The role is half being an omniscient support to the community of customers, energy geeks and more who talk to and about us on social media. And half, creating brilliant and original content informed by your unique insight into our customers.
What do we need you to do (and be)?
- A customer-obsessed social media lurker
- Someone who gets people, and how they engage with social media
- Adaptable and happy to take a crack at just about anything
- Happiest working ‘quick and dirty’ without a lot of rigorous planning and scheduling
- Genuinely passionate about making a big green dent in the universe
- The ability to make the written word sing
- At least a year’s experience posting & creating content for a variety of social media platforms
- Ideally, some video creation and editing experience (think TikTok not Titanic)
- At least half your time will be spent deeply embedded in the social media Octoverse.
- Overseeing our Spain retail social channels Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, TikTok, Linkedin, and Facebook) to understand what’s being said about Octopus, energy, and climate, and looking out for interesting trends and opportunities.
- Social media is 24/7. Being completely upfront, this isn’t a role where you switch off at 6.30pm. You’d need to be OK working a Sunday miracle for a customer or spending your evening commute crafting the perfect tweet reply. (You won’t work 24/7 of course, but there will be some out of hours shifts).
What you'll have
- We need someone who’s a bit T shaped. You’ll have some specific social media genius, but more importantly, you’ll be a jack of all trades who doesn’t mind picking up a little bit of everything and learning how to do it as you go.
- You’ll be able to make your peace with creating things quick and dirty, free from carefully contrived content pillars, post schedules and social strategies. We like agility over perfection because it means we can share cool stuff with our customers faster, and learn from it and adapt as we go.
- This will help you make all sorts of content from short videos to blogs, quippy quote tweets to competitions, across a variety of platforms. You’ll have excellent writing skills, some practical experience creating posts across major social media platforms and ideally some video creation and editing skills. But even more importantly; you have a deep understanding of people, how they think and how they engage with social media.
Why else you'll love it here
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture - An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about!
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Bi-weekly on a Thursday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you