Software Engineer - Java
Posted on Thursday, November 9, 2023
The energy industry is undergoing the largest transformation since industrialisation at an unprecedented rate of change and we are positioning ourselves to be at the heart of that change.
Our aim is to be the leading global provider of solutions that enable customers to release £30bn of value per annum from distributed energy resources (DERs). We are building a Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription business with a global addressable market of £2.4 billion per annum, by digitally connecting hundreds of thousands of DERs with energy markets.
We have already attained a market leading position and KrakenFlex is a recognised thought leader and innovator in the industry. Our efforts have not gone unnoticed and we are pleased to announce that we now have the full support and backing of Octopus Energy, an award-winning UK energy supplier who share our passion and values.
The energy industry is undergoing the largest transformation since industrialisation at an unprecedented rate of change, and we are positioning ourselves to be at the heart of that change.
Your main mission, as part of our Network Intelligence group, will be to take care of and improve our grid technology platforms. We are looking for individuals who love to engage with interesting software problems, with an interest in full-stack development and the passion to build and shape the future within a collaborative, highly agile development, and community-based environment.
What you'll do
- Design, build and maintain high performance, reusable, and reliable code for our Network Intelligence platforms,
- Be committed to product quality,
- Take active part in improving our processes and general architecture,
- Participate in customer project delivery activities,
- Participate actively in developing a state-of-the-art software engineering culture.
What you'll need
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent,
- 5 years of successful professional experience in a similar role,
- Hands-on and analytical approach to work,
- Curious, eager to learn,
- Initiative spirit, self-organised and attention to detail,
- High analytical capabilities to solve complex issues.
- Hands on and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (French and English).
- Strong experience in Java and maven
- Strong experience with the Spring Framework (Spring Boot, JPA, etc)
- Good knowledge of PostgreSQL, TimescaleDB is a plus
- Goog knowledge of frontend technologies (ReactJS) is a plus
- Knowledge of Docker environment
- Knowledge of Git, Linux
- Knowledge of Python 3 is a plus
- GCP ow AWS experience is a plus
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
Ideally you will be based in the Greater Manchester and happy to come into the office a couple of days per week! But we appreciate that things have changed and flexibility is at the top of everyone's agenda, so if you would rather be remote please let us know.
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.