Senior Electrical Engineer
Posted on Thursday, November 9, 2023
The energy industry is undergoing the largest transformation since industrialisation at an unprecedented rate of change and we are positioning ourselves to be at the heart of that change.
Our aim is to be the leading global provider of solutions that enable customers to release £30bn of value per annum from distributed energy resources (DERs). We are building a Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription business with a global addressable market of £2.4 billion per annum, by digitally connecting hundreds of thousands of DERs with energy markets.
We have already attained a market leading position and KrakenFlex is a recognised thought leader and innovator in the industry. Our efforts have not gone unnoticed and we are pleased to announce that we now have the full support and backing of Octopus Energy, an award-winning UK energy supplier who share our passion and values.
We are looking for a senior electrical engineer for a role offering a wide range of responsibilities, from applied design to industrialisation, covering several engineering and project management fields. The successful applicant will strengthen an existing engineering team in charge of development and delivery of devices with extensive electrical measurement, communication, and control capabilities to be used in the world of smart grids.
What you'll do
- Participate in the specification of new hardware products (specifications, documentation, detailed design, manufacturing method, validation, qualification & integration, industrialization)
- Analysis of technical requirements and product concept integration
- Develop testing methods and compliance scheme
- Own overall functional testing (unit and part of integration testing in partnership with the IT quality assurance engineering) to ensure validation of product performance.
- Lead verification procedure (climatic/EMC) with third party management.
- Lead certification process with third party management.
- Support current generation of device life cycle.
- Participate in customer project architecture.
- Manage operational product quality – Failure root cause analysis
What you'll need
- Technical background in automation or electrotechnics with an excellent understanding of electric, electronic and embedded software concepts
- You have a strong practical mind able to deal with field considerations
- Solid experience in the field of automation, electronics, or electrical grids with a minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar position.
- Master’s or bachelor’s degree in electronics/automation and/or embedded software
- You possess the ability to consider embedded SW and HW when carrying out full-stack testing.
- Good knowledge of electrical metrology principles will be a plus
- Experience in UNIX/Linux environments and bash scripting would be a plus.
- High analytical capabilities to solve complex issues.
- Hands on and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (French and English).
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.