Product Owner - Kraken Technologies (Italian Energy Industry)
Metropolitan City of Milan, Italy
Posted on Thursday, November 9, 2023
Kraken is the technology tentacle of the Octopus Energy Group.
About the Opportunity
Kraken is part of the Octopus Energy Group and we are out to make a big green dent in the universe 🐙
Since 2015, Octopus Energy Group has been on a mission to bring affordable, green energy to the world. With the help of our in-house developed technology platform, Kraken, we’ve become one of the largest energy suppliers in the UK, opened businesses in 14 countries, and licensed our software to retail giants including E.ON in the UK, Origin Energy in Australia and Plenitude across Europe. We’ve reinvented energy products with smart, data-driven tariffs to balance customer demand with renewable generation - and we’re the biggest investor in renewable generation in the UK.
Our technology team at Kraken Technologies has grown extremely quickly as a result. With this rapid growth, we are looking for a proactive Product Manager with an understanding of the Italian energy industry to join our team in Italy and work with our developers, ensuring what they do has the highest impact for our customers. Other organisations have product owners, project leads and scrum masters, but we like to be organic and self-organising, so you’ll gain experience doing all of the above.
You’ll need to be a self-starter: someone who sees a problem and can’t help but want to fix it! You’ll be well organised, working methodically and clearly to ensure projects go from inception to completion. We put the customer first wherever we are in the business and work empathetically with one another to deliver the best possible outcomes.. We need someone able to work well within organised chaos and ensure our developers are working optimally towards our unified goal.
What you'll do
- You’ll work within our European Industry team focused on delivering a localisation of the Kraken platform for our key Italian client - Octopus Energy Italy. Once the localisation and migration is complete, you will have the opportunity to work on projects and products across Europe.
- Liaise with tech, operations, our clients and others to scope and plan features in Kraken that need to be built for the Italian market. You’ll spot problems, take ownership and see them through to resolution.
- Gather requirements, define approach, and help write pitch documents so developers can hit the ground running and support them during a project.
- Own the backlog of work to support development of our technology. We use Asana to keep track and prioritise what’s up next and what’s still to-do.
- Help report on progress of projects, new features and your team’s roadmap across the wider organisation.
- Help teams that are working on front-line support to quickly resolve issues.
- Think strategically about, and contribute to what we can do better as a Product Team.
Day-to-day, you will:
What you’ll need
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Italian and English and an ability to interact with people with varying levels of technical knowledge.
- Product management experience. We accept applications from various levels of seniority.
- To be able to recognise what needs to be done and, just as importantly, what doesn’t need to be done right now.
- A track record of working with competing demands and making decisions to get critical work done with a view to the overall goals of the team and the customer experience.
- Knowledge of the energy industry is a significant plus, whether that’s in Italy or globally.
Why else you'll love it here
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture - An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about!
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together. We mirror the same culture across all countries we work in.
- Unlimited holiday - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course).
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you