Digital Marketing Manager
Marketing & Communications
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2023
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
Octopus Energy continues to rapidly grow globally as we expand beyond energy retail and explore the low carbon products that will change the shape of the industry and fast track the globe to a zero-carbon future. We’re looking for a creative digital marketer to help us do this.
This is an exciting and creative role where you’ll own and be accountable for increasing the adoption of products like heat pumps, solar panels, home batteries and EV chargers. This will be your main focus and digital marketing will be your speciality but there’s no barrier to what you can work on.
We’re obsessed with giving customers the best experience and you will be too. You’ll be our digital marketing specialist for our low carbon products and, more importantly, you’ll get close to customers to get a true understanding of what they want/need. You’ll whip up impactful content that will inform and educate and encourage long term engagement. You’ll rapidly experiment and iterate the online sales journey suggesting ways to improve our UX. You’ll know the customer journey from start to finish and continue to shower customers with love and appreciation for actively being part of the move towards a zero-carbon future.
What you should know
- We rarely use agencies for anything. We’re a fabulous team of in-house designers, UX, copywriters and front-end developers. We do our own media buying. You could say, in fact, that we’re half agency, but we’re your most favourite client ever, the one you secretly yearned to work at
- We’re obsessive about our customers. We think about our customers a lot. We answer emails from customers, we join in on social media (and I mean we, as leaders do), we think constantly about creating great experiences that are worth talking about, great stories and always focusing on the purpose, why people should join us
- We’re looking for someone who’s worked their way around the marketing mix and can stay on top of the metrics, but actually, what you really know is humans and human behaviour
- You’ll work freely with autonomy and accountability, minimising your dependencies on others while intensely collaborating with the creative team sharing your enthusiasm and awesome ideas and getting them live as soon as possible
- You’ll need to be a grafter, but a smart grafter. You put effort where it delivers the most value: you’ll wireframe just enough to communicate what you need to a designer or developer and if they’re not available, you’ll find a work around
- You have a burning desire to turn your skills to something meaningful. You enjoy shipping things MVP, quickly learning from live feedback and constantly deploying new improvements. You’d rather not just make someone else’s stuff anymore. You want to take the lead in making something the world desperately needs
- And finally, being honest and transparent, we find that people from traditional corporate businesses can struggle in this environment of creativity and rapidly changing priorities. We do hire people from these backgrounds - please don’t let that stop you from applying - but successful candidates understand the criticisms of old traditional business models and are eager to try something evidently more impactful. We don’t work to backlogs, we don’t write business cases or annual business plans. We put effectiveness and efficiency above all else and work with a bias to action. We expect accountability without process, and responsibility without functional shoulder pads. We get stuff done by knowing what’s right, and it takes hard to learn that
What you'll do
- Run and experiment with ads across all digital channels with the end goal of increasing uptake in our low carbon products - you’ll own growth for online requests and installation bookings
- Learn and understand how customers are using our onboarding journey for each of our low carbon products (solar, heat pumps, batteries and chargers) then analyse, test and iterate improvements to new customers and the digital sales journey
- Work closely with our smart tariffs team to uncover customer based insights to and use them in your marketing messages
- Create strategies to gather leads, automate comms flows and increase installation bookings
- Write and design landing pages for ad campaigns, experimenting with different iterations to increase activity to optimise performance
- Test retargeting ads, comms and offers to bring people back into the funnel
- Help build customer-love products, campaigns, rewards, and other retention improvements
- Gain and report on customer insights via surveys and self-serve data analysis
- Competitor research and analysis
- Manage activity with smaller external partners, affiliates and influencers
- Improve our involvement and engagement with online low carbon product communities
- Manage ongoing website improvements, SEO and dramatically improve the organic search position for Octopus’ low carbon products.
Why else you'll love it here
- An ability to quickly adapt to change. We pride ourselves in going beyond being an agile organisation that is constantly changing to fit the needs of our customers
- Understanding of traditional and emerging marketing channels - particularly the fast changing world of digital
- Ability to interpret data and draw actionable insights
- Experience developing clear and engaging content consistent with customer needs and brand tone
- Analytical skills to forecast and quickly identify sharp changes in activity and trends
- Experience with planning, creating, and implementing relevant content on customer facing channels
- To be data-driven with a background in tracking and analysing people’s digital footprints along their journey in discovering brands
- Capacity to coordinate projects from start to finish
- An understanding of how to define, track, and generate a profitable CPA
- To manage search keyword research and databases
- An understanding of SEO ranking factors
- Ability to track content usage and content sequencing over time
- A deep interest in sustainability, green energy and achieving net zero
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people. We’ve also been placed in the top 10 companies for senior leadership
- Visit our UK perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.