Assistant Accountant - Maternity Cover
Accounting & Finance
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2023
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
The role sits within the Octopus Energy Generation’s Funds Finance team, reporting to our Finance Manager. This role requires an individual who is highly organised, capable of dealing with both multiple workstreams and running defined processes efficiently and autonomously.
The team you will be working for are busy and diverse. To excel in this role, it is essential that you are proactive, keen to learn, focused, self-motivated and able to work under deadlines.
About the role
Octopus Energy Generation’ Funds Finance are responsible for the financial reporting and analysis for an expanding portfolio of renewable assets that are owned by a number of Retail, Institutional and Listed Funds. These assets have a growing international presence across the UK, Europe, Asia, USA and Australia. The team interacts with several other teams across Octopus Energy Generation and the wider business, so it is imperative that the Assistant Accountant is able to build strong working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
The Assistant Accountant will be responsible for treasury duties, accounts payable, VAT return preparation and bookkeeping for some entities managed in house, giving them exposure to an array of funds, the wider team and workstreams.
Key Role Responsibilities
- Treasury duties and accounts payable including bank reconciliations, payment input and acting administrator for OEGEN’s online banking platforms
- Administration of the OEGEN’s banks including liaising with relationship managers, account opening/closure, and management of mandates
- Accounts payable for various funds and assisting Groups’ accounts payable team
- Bookkeeping and VAT returns
- Help with ad hoc general finance administration within the team
- Ad hoc projects as assigned by your manager
- Be a valued business partner and build and maintain good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Identify system improvements and help to drive change across the team
Skills and qualifications
- A degree in accounting, finance or equivalent with a 2:1 or finance or accounting experience
- Ideally previous experience working in a Treasury team or accounts payable role
- Excellent attention to detail
- Highly organised, able to plan ahead to deliver accurate information to tight reporting deadlines
- Excellent communication skills, with a proven ability to work well with different teams and manage a range of different stakeholders
- Self-motivated and aspirational, comfortable working in a fast-paced changing environment
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.