Portfolio Associate - Fund Management
Posted on Friday, October 6, 2023
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
We are seeking a Portfolio Associate to join the Octopus Energy Generation (“OEGen”) Funds Team, reporting to the Portfolio Manager. This will be working in our Public Markets portfolio team that manages our Listed Investment Trusts and offers an excellent opportunity for growth and development within the role.
We are looking for a process driven and organised individual who can be a driving force within the team to ensure that all elements of managing our public funds are delivered.
Alongside an overall project management bias, your role will focus on managing debt and performing valuations of a growing portfolio of investments and understanding and reporting on the performance of investments. In this role, you will deliver accurate and quality outputs whilst supporting the drive to continuously improve our fund management processes.
This is an exciting and challenging opportunity to work at Octopus Energy Generation where we have the ambition to onboard and manage £bns of assets over the next 5 years.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Portfolio Project Management You will project manage, monitor and manage processes and ensure compliance with all obligations. You will be comfortable interacting with a broad range of stakeholders to ensure that deadlines are met and help the team run smoothly and efficiently.
- Process Management and data provision: You will understand listed equity processes such as prospectus raises, verification, market announcements, factsheets, annual reports, roadshows, asset sales, investments, valuations, Board reporting and be able to provide the necessary data to support these processes. You will understand key metrics for listed equities in the renewables sector. You will input into the creation of Board and public investor reports and outputs that we can be proud of, ensuring that the information provided is accurate and relevant.
- Equity and Debt investment modelling: You will proactively monitor your assigned renewable energy assets through creating, maintaining and improving operational asset models and debt models. You will deliver accurate and timely quarterly valuations, updating models and undertaking detailed assumptions reviews and checking outputs from peers. You will deliver debt models to funders as required. You will maintain a close relationship with Asset Managers to understand underlying Asset Performance. You will monitor investor returns, track record and other fund KPIs, ensuring accurate data and informative forecasts. You will ensure any new acquisitions you are assigned are onboarded into the fund management team effectively. You will do this on Power Bi/Excel Models/e-Front.
- Portfolio Management: You will be required to follow processes and conduct analysis relevant to your portfolios including FX, Interest Rate Swaps, Cash Products working with Finance and the Investments team to ensure these deliver fund mandates. You will ensure these processes are being followed across the public markets team.
- Risk Management: You will support the Portfolio Manager ensure that the fund is governed correctly, providing input into papers for relevant Boards, ensuring accurate information. You will start to understand the risks associated with the portfolio and proactively monitor, escalate and mitigate.
- Continuous Improvement: You will look for improvements in the way we do things, driving forward consolidation, simplification and automation where possible to drive better outcomes for our investors, working on Fund Management Projects as appropriate.
Qualifications - Ideally, you’ll have some or all of the following qualifications, skills and job-related experience:
- Minimum of 3 years working experience
- You will be highly organised, process driven and project management experience and skills
- Knowledge and skillset in valuing assets and/portfolio companies, discounted cash-flow modelling and debt modelling. A modelling test will be part of the recruitment process.
- An understanding of fund management processes for public funds
- Previous experience of working in the renewables sector
- Experience of creating high quality investor outputs
- Excellent financial acumen, CFA qualification considered advantageous
And to really stand out from the crowd, you will display the following qualities and characteristics:
- Thrive in a fast moving business, able to see solutions where others see problems, passionate about improving processes, models and customer outcomes. Excited, not overwhelmed by a challenge.
- Excellent verbal and written skills, able to distil and seek out insightful analysis
- Active listener and communicator, able to demonstrate the ability to manage stakeholders
- Passionate about the detail, taking accountability for the accuracy of every output.
- Able to plan ahead but also work under pressure, always delivering to deadlines.
- Able to collaborate. A team player, flexible in approach and able to support others as necessary.
Why you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we're voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.