Software Engineering, Data Science
Posted on Friday, October 6, 2023
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
Octopus Energy is an energy technology business founded in 2015. Our aim is to drive society’s transition to Net Zero by changing the way customers buy and use energy. To achieve this we:
Build the technology we need to efficiently provide customers with amazing experiences and support - we’ve been a Which recommended supplier 6 years in a row and maintain a Trustpilot score of 4.8 stars
- Challenge the tease and squeeze tactics of traditional energy pricing. We provide fair and transparent pricing that means all our customers get great value for the long term
- Bring renewable energy to our customers - all our products are 100% renewable and we’re working to build new renewable generation right from the customer scale to the grid scale
- Reinvent energy products with smart, data driven tariffs that help to balance customer demand with renewable generation. Our Octopus Agile Tariff, Tesla Energy Plan, Octopus Go EV and Agile Outgoing Solar tariff are all industry firsts and enable our customers to be active players in a renewable energy system
Since 2015, we’ve grown to supply over 5.5 million customers in the UK. We’ve also spread our tentacles and are now in France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Japan, Australia, New Zealand & the U.S. Our in-house developed technology platform, Kraken, is licensed by retail giants including E.ON in the UK, Origin Energy in Australia and Toyko Gas in Japan.
About our Data Platform Team
At Octopus we’ve developed a data platform that provides data services to the business in the UK and our retail energy businesses around the world. The platform enables self-service of data analytics to hundreds of data hungry users as well as automation of all our data workflows from simple ETL jobs to ML training and prediction.
The data platform team works across the whole customer domain on anything from natural language understanding of our customer communications to processing billions of smart meter readings to build customised smart energy tariffs.
As the volume, scope and geographical range of our data services rapidly expand, we’re looking for an experienced data engineer to join the team to help us build and maintain our platform, pipelines and data sources.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work on data problems that genuinely move us closer to Net Zero with a company that is passionate about building great technology to change the way customers use energy.
What you'll do...
- Build new data sources and data pipelines that deliver key data and insights to the business
- Work closely with the data science and analytics teams to maintain and develop our central data models in dbt
- Build and maintain testing and documentation frameworks for our data sources
- Work with the business to scope and deliver new data engineering projects and requirements
- Maintain and build on our existing data infrastructure and tools
- Support the internationalisation of our data infrastructure as we continue to grow globally
Our Data Platform Stack...
- Databricks our datalake approach
- Spark for data processing
- Python as our main programming language
- Kubernetes for data services and task orchestration
- dbt for data modelling
- Airflow purely for job scheduling and tracking
- Circle CI for continuous deployment
- Parquet and Delta file formats on S3 for data lake storage
- SparkSQL for analytics
- Streamlit for data applications
What you'll have...
- First and foremost, we want our data engineers to be great software engineers with a passion for writing high quality code
- It would be helpful to have experience/expertise in the following (in rough priority order):
- The projects will be varied and we’re looking for someone who can work autonomously and proactively to scope problems and solve and deliver pragmatic solutions
Experience modelling data for analytics - ideally experience using dbt as a modelling tool
Experience in assuring data quality
Experience deploying data services in a cloud environment (ideally AWS)
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we we're voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
We would prefer someone who can work in our London office but will consider remote candidates (warning: the bar is much higher). You do need to be able to work in the UK without a VISA though.
Above all, we’re looking for someone who thrives on providing alternative opinions, challenging those around them and being challenged.
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.