Accounting & Finance, Sales & Business Development
Houston, TX, USA
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2023
Welcome to the future of energy
We are both an electricity retailer and a tech platform and we think there is no better way to address our greatest challenge, climate change, than with the combination of those two.
Through our proprietary tech platform, Kraken, we are changing the way people interact with their energy company - by making it approachable, low cost, easy-to-understand, and most importantly, 100% renewable. We’ve distinguished ourselves by being named 2020’s Energy Provider of the Year, which highlights our commitment to exceptional customer service. In many markets we are a leading employer on Glassdoor for best places to work.
We're looking for a highly motivated Accounting Manager to join our fast paced and growing Finance team.
What you'll do
- General Accounting - Oversee and manage the general ledger. Prepare and review journal entries, fluctuation analyses, key reconciliations, and roll forwards.
- Electricity Accounting – perform monthly gross margin accounting and analysis, explain variances to budget.
- Internal Controls – help identify and implement key controls.
- Financial Reporting - Assist in the preparation and analysis of financial reports such as financial statements and budget performance.
- Audit - Prepare audit-friendly supporting schedules and coordinate with external auditors as required.
- Accounting policy – guide the organization through technical accounting issues as required, understand and implement new accounting requirements as needed.
- Process Improvements - Identify and implement process improvements and automations to reduce time to close and improve accuracy of underlying accounting records.
What you'll need
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or related field
- Experience in electricity or commodity industry
- Intercompany accounting experience
- A track record of simplification and standardization
- Intermediate – Advanced Excel skills
- An understanding of accounting excellence and how accounting adds value.
It would be nice if you had
- Management experience
- Experience with Python and/or SQL
- GAAP to IFRS translation experience
- Understanding of accounting requirements for software businesses
- ASC 842 – Lease accounting experience
- Experience in tax provisioning and general tax accounting
- Master’s Degree
Why else you'll love it here
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options including FSAs.
- Paid time off — we know working hard means also being able to recharge as needed, we trust our employees to get the work done and take the time they need.
- 401(k) plan with employer match.
- Parental leave. Biological, adoptive and foster parents are all eligible.
- Pre-tax commuter benefits.
- Flexible working environment: you need to shift around your schedule? You do you, we genuinely believe in work/life balance.
- Equity Options: every Octopus employee owns part of the business. We’re a team, working together towards huge goals. Every person is crucial to our success, you should be rewarded as such.
- Modern office or co-working spaces depending on location.
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! When on a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.