Financial Analyst (Gross Margin)
IT, Accounting & Finance
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2023
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
Do you love analysing and getting value from data? Do you also have experience and an
understanding of finance and accounting? If you’re a “strong yes” to both of those questions
then you’ll love this role......
Octopus Energy is now one of the largest suppliers of gas and electricity to UK
householders, with 6.5 million customers and a multi-billion pound turnover. Our Gross
Margin team delivers value to the business through reporting, assurance and bespoke
analysis relating to the gross profit margin section of the retail P&L, using incredibly granular
data and superb tooling. You’ll be playing an important role here in our supportive team of
data analysts, accountants and data engineers.
The more of the below skills you have the higher the probability that you’ll be a good fit for
this role. Our perfect person would meet a minimum standard in all of these areas... but we place an equally high value on an ability to pick up new skills and knowledge ... and nobody (least of all us) is perfect!
- Can code in SQL / Python / another programming language
- Have an accounting or finance qualification eg from ACA / ACCA / CIMA / AAT or equivalent experience
- Enjoy solving complex problems
- Enjoy taking responsibility for an area
- Can summarise findings and communicate in a clear and targeted manner
- Have 3 to 5 years experience in related roles
- Like to learn about new and complicated areas
- Enjoy constantly streamlining and introducing new processes
- Have Energy Industry knowledge
- Can present to senior management
What you'll do
- Weekly gross margin information packs for our two UK retail companies
- Variance analysis and problem solving around the numbers in those packs
- Tracking and understanding movements in previous months margin (eg changes as meter reads come in)
- Preparing monthly cost accruals and improving our modelling of costs
- Running and expanding suite of reconciliations to assure accuracy of output
- Working closely with financial auditors, particularly during Year End
- Problem solving around improving accuracy of gross margin calculations, with the rest of the team
- Granular cohort analysis to identify trends within our data and margin opportunities
- Leading meetings with colleagues and senior management
- Purchase invoice checks and authorisation
- Submission of regular industry returns
Please answer the short additional questions as well as attaching your CV in order to progress to the interview stages for this role.
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people. We’ve also been placed in the top 10 companies for senior leadership
- Visit our UK perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.