Marketing & Communications
Houston, TX, USA
Posted on Thursday, September 7, 2023
Welcome to the future of energy
We are both an electricity retailer and a tech platform and we think there is no better way to address our greatest challenge, climate change, than with the combination of those two.
Through our proprietary tech platform, Kraken, we are changing the way people interact with their energy company - by making it approachable, low cost, easy-to-understand, and most importantly, 100% renewable. We’ve distinguished ourselves by being named 2020’s Energy Provider of the Year, which highlights our commitment to exceptional customer service. In many markets we are a leading employer on Glassdoor for best places to work.
Our innovative product called Intelligent Octopus is the answer to the challenging energy market in Texas. We are looking for a creative marketing generalist to help us build our brand and grow the Intelligent Octopus customer base.
We are challenging the energy industry to break away from the boring vanilla product every retailer has. Through product innovation and knowledge, we are building a smarter energy future that solves the problems that exist today. We are looking for a creative marketer to help us build the Octopus Energy brand and grow our customer base.
Part strategist, part copywriter - the right candidate will be a wickedly smart, creative thinker who lives and breathes content writing and loves to teach customers new things. If you have an intrinsic understanding for the type of content that works best across multimedia channels for brands and can also whip up engaging content that will generate brand awareness and long term engagement, then this is the role for you. We need brilliant ideas that’ll interest people who might not otherwise put much thought to their energy. You also need a willingness to muck in on all random marketing bits that pop up along the way – from ideating fun customer-love campaigns to spitballing ideas for the Texas State fair. Sound fun? Read on.
There's some things you should know
- We rarely use agencies for anything. We’re a fabulous team of in-house designers, UX, writers and front enders. We do our own media buying. You could say, in fact, that we’re half agency, but we’re your most favorite client ever, the one you secretly yearned to work at.
- We’re pretty obsessive. We think about our customers a lot. A lot a lot. We answer emails from customers, we join in on social media (and I mean we, as leaders do), we think constantly about what makes great experiences, great stories and great reasons for people to join us.
- We’re looking for someone who’s worked their way around the marketing mix and can trot out some good metrics, but actually, what you really really know, is humans.
- You’ll happily work with no direct reports, but your enthusiasm means awesome people follow you, and you’ll get stuff done.
- You’re a grafter, but a smart grafter. You put effort where it delivers the most value: you’ll wireframe just enough to communicate what you need to a developer. If the developer isn’t available, you’ll find a work around. You’ll pull together the slides for an internal review in the 10 minutes beforehand, and even that kills a little bit of your soul.
- You have a burning desire to turn your skills to something meaningful. You enjoy shipping products, but you’d rather not just make someone else’s stuff anymore. You want to take the lead in making something the world desperately needs.
- And finally, we have to be honest. We find that people from traditional businesses often struggle here. We don’t work to backlogs, we don’t write business cases. We prioritize effectiveness and efficiency above all else. We expect accountability without process, and responsibility without functional shoulder pads. We get stuff done by knowing what’s right, and sometimes that’s hard.
What you'll do
- Write evergreen content that generates compounding organic traffic
- Write new customer comms and review existing comms to maximize engagement and reduce inbound customer contact
- Structure and create meaningful authority content that positions OEUS as the leading experts in the renewable industry
- Strategize on and research relevant topics for regular blog content, both on owned channels and as guest bloggers
- Write core content for OEUS website, with a keen understanding of how copy will affect SEO rankings and brand awareness
- Assist in creating content for all stages of the customer journey, from acquisition through to engagement and retention
- Support our Marketing Manager and team with Ad Hoc Tasks
What you'll need
- A minimum of 3-5+ years of professional relevant experience required
- Ability to quickly adapt to change. We pride ourselves on being an agile organization that is constantly changing to fit the needs of our customers. A flexible approach to work, start-up experience is a plus!
- Understanding of traditional and emerging marketing channels
- Experience developing clear and engaging content consistent with customer needs and brand tone
- Analytical skills to forecast and identify trends and challenges
- Experience with planning, creating, and implementing relevant content on customer facing channels.
- Capacity to coordinate projects from start to finish.
- Great time management skills with the keen ability to multitask.
- An understanding of how to define, track, and generate ROI within a content strategy
- Ability to define a niche and topic where your content can make you and/or your brand an authority
- An understanding of how to perform keyword research
- An understanding of SEO ranking factors
- An understanding of how to guest blog in a way that yields ROI
- Ability to consistently generate popular content ideas
- Ability to properly track and update content over time
- Experience writing on a product (agency or in-house)
- Unparalleled attention to detail and grammar
- Writing samples are a requirement to be considered for this role
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus!
Why else you'll love it here
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options including FSAs.
- Paid time off — we know working hard means also being able to recharge as needed, we trust our employees to get the work done and take the time they need.
- 401(k) plan with employer match.
- Parental leave. Biological, adoptive and foster parents are all eligible.
- Pre-tax commuter benefits.
- Flexible working environment: you need to shift around your schedule? You do you, we genuinely believe in work/life balance.
- Equity Options: every Octopus employee owns part of the business. We’re a team, working together towards huge goals. Every person is crucial to our success, you should be rewarded as such.
- Modern office or co-working spaces depending on location.
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! When on a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.