Software Engineering, Data Science
Province of Ascoli Piceno, Italy
Posted on Wednesday, September 6, 2023
Octopus Energy Group has gone from a tiny startup supplier to a global leader. Since just 2016 we've become a global energy tech company launched in the UK and we're now made of 10 businesses, in 13 countries around the world, with over 5 million customers, with 25 million contracted accounts for our entech platform, Kraken. Through that relentless growth we still put customers at the heart of everything we do.
That's how we've got five stars on TrustPilot based on over 100,000 customer reviews and why consumer champions “Which?” have named us a Recommended Provider for the last five years in a row. We've also reached 4.8 on our Italian Trustpilot.
We're fighting to make energy fairer, more affordable, greener and more accessible for all.
We're shaking up the energy market and decarbonising our planet, using technology to unlock the green energy revolution. Our global energy revolution is backed by Generation, the sustainable fund co-chaired by Al Gore.
Octopus Energy Italia is looking to revolutionise the Italian energy sector.
To do this we need to grow with passionate people to help us do this, we have diverse roles ready to be filled across our Italian teams and need authentic, committed people for a wide range of roles.
We're in a start-up phase which means that you will be able to shape the future of energy in Italy from day one.
If you want to be a part of a collaborative, challenging and forward thinking culture: join us!
We are looking for a Data Engineer whose primary focus will be helping to ensure that projects around different teams are supported with tooling and applications that fit their needs, as well as building our modern data stack. On one side, we want to ingest the latest data, and build robust, well-tested pipelines that give us confidence in our data modelling. On the other hand, the candidate will be expected to leverage the use of APIs, periodic tasks scheduling, web crawling scripts and AWS tools to automate manual processes and scale operations.
Experience working in energy is beneficial, but not necessary. Experience owning the technical infrastructure at smaller organisations, such as startups is highly beneficial; you should outline this experience in your application.
What you'll do
- Work closely with the data science and analytics teams to maintain and develop our central data models (in dbt) and pipelines
- Work closely with the business team to understand their needs of process automation
- Build new data sources and data pipelines that deliver key data and insights to the business
- Build and maintain testing and documentation frameworks for our data sources
- Coordinate with software developpers to secure good integration with existing infrastructure and tools
- Maintain and build on our existing data infrastructure and tools
- Support the internationalisation of our data infrastructure as we continue to grow globally
What you'll need
- First and foremost, we want our data engineers to be great software engineers with a passion for writing high quality code
- Web scraping and crawling libraries
- Experience modelling data for analytics - ideally experience using dbt as a modelling tool
- Experience in assuring data quality
- Experience deploying data services in a cloud environment (ideally AWS)
Our Data Stack
- Python as our main programming language
- Kubernetes for data services and task orchestration
- Airflow purely for job scheduling and tracking
- Circle CI for continuous deployment
- Parquet and Delta file formats on S3 for data lake storage
- Spark for data processing
- dbt for data modelling
- Presto and SparkSQL for analytics
- Streamlit for data applications
Why else you'll love it here
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture - An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about!
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you