Posted on Tuesday, September 5, 2023
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
This role is an exciting opportunity to be part of the founding team of the newly formed Octopus Energy AIF Manager. OEAIFM will initially oversee c.€1-2bn of AUM through three Article 9 Lux Funds which are currently managed by portfolio manager Octopus Energy Generation* with the aim to grow the portfolio substantially over the coming years. The Funds under management have investment objectives to develop, construct and operate renewable energy assets globally as well as investing in energy transition portfolio companies on behalf of their investors.
OEAIFM is part of the fund management business within Octopus Energy group – a global integrated energy transition group that broadly operates across four verticals: Retail energy, Tech Licensing, Services and Generation. The fund management team within Octopus Energy Generation was set up in 2010 based on the belief that investors can play a vital role in helping to avert climate change and now has a 12-year track record with £5.8 billion of AUM (as of June 2023).
* Octopus Energy Generation is a trading name of Octopus Renewables Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA Register No. 473797).
This role reports directly to the Head of AIFM and you will be part of a team of five in Ireland.
What you'll do
- We are seeking a Valuations Manager who will oversee the AIFM’s valuation approval process.
- Ensure valuation consistency through running a “Valuation Consistency Group” which determines approved central macro assumptions and other core assumptions (such as inflation, FX and interest rates across all jurisdictions) for provision to the valuers
- Maintain and analyse appropriate transaction and fund level benchmarks, working collaboratively with the Portfolio Manager for inputs as well as research platforms and publicly available information
- Provide input into and oversight of the underlying asset-level valuations prepared by the Portfolio Manager through attending peer review meetings
- Own model audit processes
- Own valuation policies across all funds
- Appoint third-party valuers as appropriate and review valuation reports
- Input into methodology or assumption changes proposed by the Portfolio Manager to ensure fair value
- Run the group Valuations Committee processes, providing inputs and papers working closely with the INED Chair as well as documentation of approvals and minutes.
- Following the Valuation Committee, prepare valuation reports of the AIFs for the AIFM Board
What you'll need
- Ideally, you’ll have some or all of the following qualifications, skills and job-related experience.
- Excellent financial acumen, Qualified Accountant and/or CFA qualification considered advantageous, preferably with a minimum of 5 years experience
- In-depth knowledge and skillset in valuing assets and/portfolio companies, discounted cashflow modelling and debt modelling. A modelling test will be part of the recruitment process.
- Strong technical knowledge of valuations principles and best practices
- Previous experience of working in the renewables sector or infrastructure real assets
- Experience setting policies and procedures in order to mitigate risks and errors
- Credible and effective communicator, both written & verbal
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.