Senior Valuations Manager
Posted on Tuesday, September 5, 2023
This role is an exciting opportunity to be part of the founding team of the newly formed Octopus Energy AIF Manager. OEAIFM will initially oversee c.€1-2bn of AUM through three Article 9 Lux Funds which are currently managed by portfolio manager Octopus Energy Generation* with the aim to grow the portfolio substantially over the coming years. The Funds under management have investment objectives to develop, construct and operate renewable energy assets globally as well as investing in energy transition portfolio companies on behalf of their investors.
OEAIFM is part of the fund management business within Octopus Energy group – a global integrated energy transition group that broadly operates across four verticals: Retail energy, Tech Licensing, Services and Generation. The fund management team within Octopus Energy Generation was set up in 2010 based on the belief that investors can play a vital role in helping to avert climate change and now has a 12-year track record with £5.8 billion of AUM (as of June 2023).
* Octopus Energy Generation is a trading name of Octopus Renewables Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA Register No. 473797).
This role reports directly to the Head of AIFM and you will be part of a team of five in Ireland.
What you'll do
- We are seeking a Valuations Manager who will oversee the AIFM’s valuation approval process.
- Ensure valuation consistency through running a “Valuation Consistency Group” which determines approved central macro assumptions and other core assumptions (such as inflation, FX and interest rates across all jurisdictions) for provision to the valuers
- Maintain and analyse appropriate transaction and fund level benchmarks, working collaboratively with the Portfolio Manager for inputs as well as research platforms and publicly available information
- Provide input into and oversight of the underlying asset-level valuations prepared by the Portfolio Manager through attending peer review meetings
- Own model audit processes
- Own valuation policies across all funds
- Appoint third-party valuers as appropriate and review valuation reports
- Input into methodology or assumption changes proposed by the Portfolio Manager to ensure fair value
- Run the group Valuations Committee processes, providing inputs and papers working closely with the INED Chair as well as documentation of approvals and minutes.
- Following the Valuation Committee, prepare valuation reports of the AIFs for the AIFM Board
What you'll need
- Ideally, you’ll have some or all of the following qualifications, skills and job-related experience.
- Excellent financial acumen, Qualified Accountant and/or CFA qualification considered advantageous, preferably with a minimum of 5 years experience
- In-depth knowledge and skillset in valuing assets and/portfolio companies, discounted cashflow modelling and debt modelling. A modelling test will be part of the recruitment process.
- Strong technical knowledge of valuations principles and best practices
- Previous experience of working in the renewables sector or infrastructure real assets
- Experience setting policies and procedures in order to mitigate risks and errors
- Credible and effective communicator, both written & verbal
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? On a call with one of our recruiters, this is always something we cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit! We will also ask your current salary - we want to let you know this upfront so you're comfortable talking about it on a call with us.
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people. We’ve also been placed in the top 10 companies for senior leadership