Posted on Tuesday, September 5, 2023
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
This role is an exciting opportunity to be part of the founding team of the newly formed Octopus Energy AIF Manager. OEAIFM will initially oversee c.€1-2bn of AUM through three Article 9 Lux Funds which are currently managed by portfolio manager Octopus Energy Generation* with the aim to grow the portfolio substantially over the coming years. The Funds under management have investment objectives to develop, construct and operate renewable energy assets globally as well as investing in energy transition portfolio companies on behalf of their investors.
OEAIFM is part of the fund management business within Octopus Energy group – a global integrated energy transition group that broadly operates across four verticals: Retail energy, Tech Licensing, Services and Generation. The fund management team within Octopus Energy Generation was set up in 2010 based on the belief that investors can play a vital role in helping to avert climate change and now has a 12-year track record with £5.8 billion of AUM (as of June 2023).
* Octopus Energy Generation is a trading name of Octopus Renewables Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA Register No. 473797).
This role reports directly to the Head of AIFM and you will be part of a team of five in Ireland. As this role will also be part of the Group Risk and Compliance Function, led by the group Head of Risk and Compliance, you will have a dotted reporting line to this role.
What you'll do
- You will fulfil the Pre-Approval Controlled Function (PCF) of 39B Operational Risk Management and P39C Fund Risk Management
Operational risk management
- Responsible for establishing the risk management function for the AIFM including a Risk Management Policy, Risk Management Framework which includes maintaining the Issues Register, Risk Register and undertaking mitigation and action plans.
- Respond to and investigate material issues
- Collaborate with the portfolio manager to complete regular oversight and due diligence on all outsource service providers.
- Have oversight of control frameworks of delegates
- Ensure an appropriate business continuity plan is in place for the AIFM and its delegates
- Prepare quarterly operational risk reports for the AIFM Board
Fund Risk Management
- Responsible for ensuring fund-level risk management policies are in place and that funds are managed in accordance with fund offering documents, fund risk limits, leverage limits and applicable regulatory limits.
- Oversight of liquidity risk, including liquidity analysis and stress testing and management of liquidity issues.
- Work collaboratively with the Portfolio Manager and undertake necessary risk controls, checks, and stress testing.
- Monitor and review all fund risk management reporting received from the Investment Manager, and other Service Providers in relation to the Funds.
- Ensure the correct product governance is in place
- Prepare quarterly fund risk reports for the AIFM Board
- Undertake group-wide risk and compliance projects and processes as necessary and ensure AIFM processes and policies compliment overall group risk and compliance frameworks.
What you'll need
- Be an experienced risk professional
- A self-starter with broad and thorough knowledge of regulatory and risk management requirements.
- Experience working in the asset management industry, ideally with infrastructure / private equity funds
- Capable of meeting the expectations of holding the designated person status.
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.