Legal, Sales & Business Development
Posted on Tuesday, September 5, 2023
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
This role is an exciting opportunity to be part of the founding team of the newly formed Octopus Energy AIF Manager. OEAIFM will initially oversee c.€1-2bn of AUM through three Article 9 Lux Funds which are currently managed by portfolio manager Octopus Energy Generation* with the aim to grow the portfolio substantially over the coming years. The Funds under management have investment objectives to develop, construct and operate renewable energy assets globally as well as investing in energy transition portfolio companies on behalf of their investors.
OEAIFM is part of the fund management business within Octopus Energy group – a global integrated energy transition group that broadly operates across four verticals: Retail energy, Tech Licensing, Services and Generation. The fund management team within Octopus Energy Generation was set up in 2010 based on the belief that investors can play a vital role in helping to avert climate change and now has a 12-year track record with £5.8 billion of AUM (as of June 2023).
* Octopus Energy Generation is a trading name of Octopus Renewables Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA Register No. 473797).
This role reports directly to the Head of AIFM and you will be part of a team of five in Ireland. As this role will also be part of the group Risk and Compliance Function, led by the group Head of Risk and Compliance, you will have a dotted reporting line to this role.
What you'll do
- You will fulfil the Pre-Approval Controlled Function (PCF) of 39F Regulatory Compliance and will be the MLRO for the company.
- You will work closely with all Designated Persons for the AIFM to ensure the appropriate governance framework is in place.
- You will act as a source of advice and guidance for the designated persons and Board.
- Establish the compliance programme for the company including the risk-based monitoring reviews of Fund operations, portfolio management and distribution functions in relation to all applicable laws and regulations (including regulations and guidance in respect of sustainable finance).
- Ensure that a conflicts of interest framework is in place which identifies and where possible mitigates any potential conflict in addition to providing the necessary reporting on conflicts to stakeholders.
- Act as a point of escalation on product compliance issues, breaches and complaints related to funds under management.
- Provide positive and practical guidance to the company on regulatory compliance matters including identifying future regulatory developments and proactively managing regulatory change.
- Hold MLRO responsibilities including annual review of the AML policy and supporting procedures to ensure they remain compliant with current applicable AML regulations
- Act as the designated representative for Data Protection/GDPR issues and Complaints handling
- Develop and maintain relationships with the Regulator and provide assistance with all regulatory inspections, outlining the Companies’ positions where appropriate during these inspections and ensuring that any follow-up actions are closed out
- Provide reporting to the company and relevant boards on regulatory compliance matters.
- Review and assess the compliance programs of Service Providers
- Reviewing marketing and client documentation to ensure that it is fair, clear, and not misleading.
- Responsible for oversight of financial crime controls: anti-money laundering, fraud, and market abuse.
- Undertake group-wide risk and compliance projects and processes as necessary and ensure AIFM processes and policies compliment overall group risk and compliance frameworks.
What you'll need
- Demonstrable experience working in a Compliance role at a senior level in asset management or funds industry, ideally with infrastructure / private equity funds
- Understanding of the Central Bank of Ireland’s Fund Management Company Guidance (CP86) requirements, the regulatory regime in Ireland of AIFM requirements, fund structure and management company structure
- Experience of managing the CBI relationship as necessary including day-to-day matters as well as thematic reviews.
- Knowledge of Irish and EU anti-money laundering rules and regulations and best practice approach for implementing a robust AML framework
- Knowledge of GDPR and experience dealing with data protection issues
- Good analytical skills and industry awareness including emerging regulations to identify the impact on the business and work proactively with other DP’s to meet all new regulatory requirements.
- A self-starter
- Capable of meeting the expectations of holding the designated person status.
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.