Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2023
Octopus Energy Group is an energy tech company. We use technology to make green electrons cheap and revolutionise customer experiences. Octopus Energy already supplies over 2 million homes with cheap green power in the UK, with operations in Germany, Australia, USA, Japan, Spain and New Zealand. By the time you’ve applied, this list may be longer.
As well as all that, Octopus Energy for Business supplies green energy to over 20,000 companies, Octopus Electric Vehicles helps make clean transport cheaper and easier, Octopus Energy Services brings smart products into thousands of homes, and Octopus Centre for Net Zero is a multi-disciplinary research organisation helping Governments and industry reach net zero sooner.
Octopus Energy Group's tech arm, Kraken Technologies, enables our innovation. They have created our API driven in-house technology platform, built from the ground up around the customer. It powers the outstanding service, efficiency and smart products we’re using to accelerate the world’s transition to a decentralised, decarbonised energy system.
The Kraken tech platform has been licensed to support over 17 million accounts worldwide, through deals with Good Energy, E.ON, Hanwha and Origin Energy.
We’re looking for a creative human-centered designer to bring Octopus to life in Spain. But there’s probably some things you should know first…
We don’t use agencies - we really don’t. Not for advertising, UX, development, or media. We do everything ourselves, so we know it inside out, and are in control of every element. You could say, in fact, that we’re half agency: the half without timesheets and suits.
We’re pretty obsessive. We think about our customers a lot. A lot a lot. We answer emails from customers, we join in on social media (and I mean we, as leaders do), we think constantly about what makes great experiences, great stories and great reasons for people to join us.
We’re looking for someone who knows their way around design for real world – you’ve explored design and all of its elements. Worked on campaigns, web experiences or maybe events, all from an idea in a sketchbook to launch and beyond. You can reel off some good numbers, but actually, what you really, really geek out on is how real humans use technology. In, like, their real, actual, messy lives: the ones full of self-interest, love, loss, stress and tedium.
You know the tools and theories of Human Centred Design, but all the talk of process makes you cry inside. You know it’s the outcome that matters, not how you get there – and you just want to make great stuff. More than once you’ve genuinely snorted at a ridiculous cliché in a user persona.
You’ll happily work with no direct reports, but your enthusiasm means awesome people follow you, and you’ll get stuff done.
You’re a grafter, but a smart grafter. You put effort where it delivers the most value: you’ll wireframe just enough to communicate what you need to a developer. If the developer isn’t available, you’ll find a work around. You’ll pull together the slides for an internal review in the 10 minutes beforehand, and even that kills a little bit of your soul.
You’ve a burning desire to turn your skills to something meaningful. You enjoy shipping products, but you’d rather not just make someone else’s stuff anymore. You want to take the lead in making something the world desperately needs.
And finally, we have to be honest. We find that people from traditional businesses often struggle here. We don’t work to backlogs, we don’t write business cases. We prioritise effectiveness and efficiency above all else. We expect accountability without process, and responsibility without functional shoulder pads. We get stuff done by knowing what’s right, and sometimes that’s hard.
What you'll do
- You will work with a wildly talented, diverse and passionate team focusing on a range of large-scale and complex design challenges.
- You will work across designing for print collateral and the occasional digital projects.
- You will support events with appropriate design and marketing collateral.
- You will work across design programs like Figma and Adobe suite programs like Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.
- You will use analytics data to create appropriate marketing response work through print and digital campaigns.
- You will think beyond creating print materials and capture the bigger picture.
- Ideally you will be based in Valencia area and happy to come into the office 2/3 days a week.
What you'll need
- An ability to pick up work in a fast paced environment with a willingness to learn.
- Knowledge of editorial design, working with copy, events marketing collateral, and branding.
- An in depth knowledge of print design and production
- An interest in sustainability, green energy and zero emissions transport
- An ability to respond to complicated briefs from stakeholders, make decisions and communicate an appropriate response/strategy
- Editorial design experience is a bonus (being able to work with large amounts of texts and brochures)
- Previous experience across print and digital design
- Knowledge of UX/UI is a bonus
- The ability to be a confident and flexible designer. Your sweet spot is the intersection of design and social impact.
- An agile mindset; you can both nurture a cohesive product vision and finesse visual designs at a vector or pixel level
- An ability to relate to individuals and nurture other team members
- A degree in Graphic Design, Creative marketing/advertising, or Visual communication, or equivalent work experience
- Extensive experience with a variety of graphic design and interactive tools such as Figma, Illustrator, Indesign, and Photoshop (Knowledge of other adobe suite is a plus)
What else you'll love about us
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture - An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about!
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Bi-weekly on a Thursday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
Buscamos a alguien que se esfuerce por resolver problemas difíciles. Alguien que pueda desafiar a los que le rodean, y ser desafiado, a la vez que ofrece experiencias encantadoras a nuestros clientes internos y externos.
Si en este anuncio estamos hablando precisamente de ti, ¡añade tu candidatura!