Technical Performance Asset Manager (Wind)
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2023
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
As part of the wider Octopus Energy group, Octopus Energy Generation (“OEGEN”) sources, invests in and actively manages a range of utility-scale renewable energy assets. We are looking to expand our circa 120 professionals team, as we continue to scale our investment base of c£5bn and 3GW+ of renewable projects.
Our operational portfolio consists of more than three hundred energy-generating companies, delivering revenue of over £500 million per year. We take pride in our wind farms, solar power plants, and upcoming projects in energy storage and hydrogen. To support our ambitious growth plans and long-term ownership of energy assets, we are expanding our Asset Management team.
The role will be based in London, with flexibility and remote work options to accommodate your needs and maintain a work-life balance. We strongly encourage applications from a variety of candidates - we believe that different experiences result in increased ideas, collaboration and success. The first stage of the process will include a run-through of our company culture, as well as a conversation about what is important for you in your next role.
About the role
We are looking for a Technical Performance Asset Manager to join the team and be responsible for the management of Octopus Energy Generation's wind energy portfolio. The portfolio compromises of over 40 onshore wind farms across Europe plus a growing offshore portfolio, totalling over 1GW of capacity. The role represents a great opportunity for someone passionate about wind farm performance and data analytics.
Reporting to the Senior Wind Technical Manager the role will be responsible for the technical performance of the portfolio. The successful candidate will be required to manage a range of outsourced partners and contractors to optimise portfolio performance, resolve issues and de-risk the portfolio.
Outline of Responsibilities
- Manage and oversee technical performance across the wind portfolio, ensuring delivery of accurate and reliable technical data from the various assets and asset managers.
- Be responsible for managing the return to service of stopped turbines.
- Supporting the delivery of technical strategy across the wind portfolio.
- Develop proposals to improve the performance of the wind portfolio and seek approval from the relevant boards. Maintain and enhance the risk monitoring framework so as to identify any issues early and resolve them in a timely fashion.
- Work closely with investment teams to identify technical risks and opportunities with new deals and in the process, prepare the asset management teams for asset on-boarding.
- Work closely with wider commercial and technical teams to monitor and optimise performance throughout the life cycle of plants; gathering and managing detailed data for the portfolio companies.
Required Skills and Experience
- Strong technical background, familiar with different wind technologies and common faults.
- Developing and implementing performance measurement frameworks, including Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Use of analytical tools and techniques to identify performance issues, trends, patterns, and opportunities for improvement.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, particularly for presenting analysis and recommendations to stakeholders, and translating technical information for non-technical teams.
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Flexibility and “can do” attitude.
- Willingness to train and support others.
- Able to critically examine and question information from a variety of sources.
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.