Senior Backend Developer
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2023
Kraken is the technology tentacle of the Octopus Energy Group.
We believe energy should be better - for you and the environment.
We’re a leading energy technology (EnTech) company, providing a better experience for our customers through transparency, honesty and simplicity. Better for the planet, through real long-term investment in renewable generation and a low CO2 future. We make energy green and flexible for consumers, with fair and transparent pricing.
We're on a mission to make energy greener, fairer, and genuinely better for people. Our global energy revolution is backed by Generation, the sustainable fund co-chaired by Al Gore. To succeed with this mission, we need excellent technical people who want to use their skills on the biggest challenge the planet is facing.
We’re proud to be Europe's best-funded green tech start-up, and one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work. We’re also the most awarded energy supplier in the UK, and have been Which? Recommended six years running.
What will you be doing?
Octopus Energy Engineering is responsible for the sites, services, and tariffs that are used by the millions of Octopus Energy customers worldwide. From building the latest, cutting-edge time-of-use tariffs, to helping customers actually enjoy tasks like providing meter readings through our wheel of fortune - and everything in between.
You’ll find a wide variety of challenges in the work we do as we help push the energy revolution forward. Our teams are multi-disciplined and collaborate between countries, meaning you have what you need to get the right people together and build the next great thing.
How do we work?
We’ve got an important, urgent mission to bring affordable, green energy to the world, and every person at Octopus works relentlessly to make that change happen fast. We work with freedom and responsibility. You'll get a lot of trust to run with ideas and take ownership of what you do.
Our founder Greg has a theory that building a great team should be like building a dry-stone wall: rather than forcing people into 'cuboids' and sticking them together in neat little rows, we take authentic humans, and find ways for them to fit together naturally to form a truly solid team full of unique perspectives and strengths. This way of working isn't for everyone. You have to drive your own work forward; be agile, flexible, and personally accountable for everything you do, from idea to conception. Through this though, you gain a true sense of ownership over the problems you’re solving, and the satisfaction of helping and supporting the millions of people who use what you make.
What you'll need
- We're looking for someone with a general interest in technology and problem-solving; someone diligent and thoughtful. It would be helpful to have experience/expertise in the following (in rough priority order):
- Django (or equiv. web framework)
- Domain modelling
- HTTP and REST APIs
- Writing robust and fault-tolerant software
- Celery and async processing
- Terraform, Packer, Consul
- React and Redux
Plus experience in the following would be a bonus:
Why else you'll love about us
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we we're voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
We would prefer someone who can work in our London office but will consider remote candidates. However, you do need to be able to work in the UK.
We're very excited to be growing our team. We're looking for skills and experience to help shape and define the future of not only our team, but the wider business at a global scale. If you're reading this and grinning, please apply! There are huge challenges to tackle, and we need amazing people who are keen to get stuck in.
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.