Manager for US Regulatory Affairs and Market Development
Legal, Sales & Business Development
Remote · United States
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2023
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
About Kraken, part of Octopus Energy Group:
Octopus Energy Group is a global energy transition company - made up of 10 businesses in 9 countries across 4 continents that touch nearly every point in the energy value chain and invest heavily in technology to support our mission to accelerate decarbonization faster and cheaper for customers. Octopus Energy is valued at $5 billion and is one of energy-tech’s fastest-growing private companies.
Octopus’ cloud software technology platform Kraken launched to market four years ago, offering utility clients end-to-end customer management through one simple solution aimed at helping utilities and their customers transition into a decarbonized future.
Since then it has grown rapidly, disrupting the incumbent tech landscape, with 25 million contracted accounts across 9 markets globally, including the US. Kraken has secured licensing deals with large international energy clients like E.ON, EDF Energy, Origin Energy, and Tokyo Gas, replacing their core technology stack and re-imagining their operations with an unblemished track record of transformation success.
We are on track to meet our ambition to grow to 100 million households by 2027 through expansion of the business with increasing interest and activity in the North American/US market. We have localized the platform and onboarded customers in the Texas market with an eye towards growth throughout the US, Canada and North America - in both regulated and competitive markets.
We're looking for a Manager for US Regulatory Affairs and Market Development with a passion for renewable energy and the decarbonization mission, who wants to join a rapidly growing energy tech scale-up. This is a rare opportunity to help shape policy and regulation across North America with an international industry leader.
You will be responsible for accelerating the growth of Kraken by building the company’s brand with key energy stakeholders including regulators, policymakers, utilities, advocates, and trade groups. Licensing and implementing Kraken as a technology platform with energy utilities is subject to a myriad of federal and state laws and regulations. Our long-term success will depend on successful engagement with policymakers at all levels.
An ideal applicant will be comfortable in external settings, adept at building deep stakeholder relationships, able to roll up their sleeves to understand the details of proposed regulations, a capable writer, a crisp communicator, and an advocate for changes that align with Kraken’s goals. You will report directly to the Head of US Policy and Markets for the Octopus Energy Group and work closely with Kraken’s business development team.
What you'll do
- Be the expert
- Provide advice and guidance on the pursuit of North American policy and regulatory efforts to strategically support licensing Kraken to utility and energy provider clients
- Support the development and implementation of Kraken’s regulatory and policy strategy in the US, with specific expertise in SaaS capitalization, utility ratemaking, O&M budgets, and the decentralized, clean energy system of the future
- Craft thoughtful, detailed written comments, memos, or presentations to regulators, policymakers and stakeholders as needed to support go-to-market strategy
- Keep our business strategy central to your efforts at all times
- Navigate and track regulatory filings and databases to quickly find relevant documents
- Build strategic relationships
- Earn trust with key audiences including utilities and regulators, and build a reputation as a key partner and problem solver
- Develop relationships with other thought leaders and industry experts, including utilities, public utility commissions, government agencies, technology implementers and trade groups
- Build Kraken brand as an industry expert - draft and file comments, attend and speak at conferences, participate in panels, join hearings and ensure Kraken’s views are represented
- Drive results and win
- We have a track record of results globally in the policy space, and expect to have a measurable impact in the US as we expand our footprint – we’re looking for someone who can roll up their sleeves and get results
- Work with partners to advance changes to best practices, policy, and regulation to accelerate our growth and close deals in both competitive and regulated markets
- Help guide regional prioritization of finite regulatory engagement resources
What you'll need
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience, ideally in a similar role at another climate/energy tech company
- Bachelor's degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- Familiarity with and passion for US energy policy at both the state and federal level
- Demonstrated aptitude for detailed work on energy regulatory and policy matters, particularly with respect to state climate policies, utility ratemaking, demand-side flexibility, and wholesale energy markets
- Experience engaging with state utility commissions on energy regulatory matters
- Track record of delivering results on high profile projects Strong business judgment and the ability to prioritize issues that matter most to the bottom line
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to synthesize complex topics into clear and simple messages
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work well with colleagues on the Kraken business development team, achieve objectives through effective influencing, and establish credibility with regulatory officials, utilities and other key stakeholders
- Experience successfully working with consultants, lobbyists, and trade group memberships, and ideally full-time team members
- Comfort working in a low-structure, fast-paced environment, juggling multiple projects, and meeting tight deadlines
Why we're different
- Octopus Energy Group is only 8 years old - and as we scale we work extremely hard on maintaining agility and our ability to 'do more' than any other business in our sector - every team should feel like a 20 person startup
- We trust our employees but also give them appropriate leadership and oversight
- We point them in the right direction and then give them high levels of autonomy
- We know that small teams of extremely motivated and capable people run fast
- Everyone in our business has equity options – we all work towards and share in our success in the whole Octopus Energy Group
- Our mission in energy and decarbonization is real and we are all passionate about making it happen
- Our customer-centricity is real - and we make decisions that foster long term value over short term gains
Why else you'll love it here
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options including FSAs.
- Paid time off — we know working hard means also being able to recharge as needed, we trust our employees to get the work done and take the time they need.
- 401(k) plan with employer match.
- Parental leave. Biological, adoptive and foster parents are all eligible.
- Pre-tax commuter benefits.
- Flexible working environment: you need to shift around your schedule? You do you, we genuinely believe in work/life balance.
- Equity Options: every Octopus employee owns part of the business. We’re a team, working together towards huge goals. Every person is crucial to our success, you should be rewarded as such.
- Modern office or co-working spaces depending on location.
- Base Salary for this position is 125,000-175,000 depending on experience.
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.