Senior Frontend Developer
Posted on Wednesday, August 2, 2023
Kraken is the technology tentacle of the Octopus Energy Group.
We’re looking for a senior frontend developer to join Octopus’s rapidly expanding home retrofitting tech platform, Kraken Field.
Energy is changing.
For years, it was an industry dominated by large suppliers using outdated systems that put profits first and customers last. Now, we’re using the latest technology and green generation to transform energy for customers, bringing the UK cheaper, greener, and fairer energy.
We enjoy the best of both worlds: backing from a £6bn business of highly experienced and talented individuals, and the dynamic environment of a start-up.
On the retail side, Octopus Energy is a Which? Recommended energy supplier, six years in a row (they’ve never given it to another supplier more than twice), and uSwitch’s Supplier of the Year three of the past five years.
On the SaaS side, Kraken is licensed to businesses globally, including EDF Energy, Good Energy, E.ON Energy, and Origin Energy – to support 24 million customers worldwide.
You’ll be working for a company that’s fighting climate change. We’re one of Europe’s largest investors in renewable energy, and we’re making it easy for people to use greener technology and power to move the UK towards a low-carbon future.
And for big change, we need big minds.
About Kraken Field
We’re making converting homes to green electrons as simple as possible, by building a platform to allow engineers to install smart meters, solar panels, heat pumps, EV chargers, and more.
We’re busy launching in new countries, working with ever more engineers and tech partners, building exciting new features at scale, and creating the integrated solution to retrofit homes across the world - all in the name of making it as easy and cheap as possible for customers to go green.
Kraken Field is a multifunctional, multinational team made up of product, backend, design, mobile, web and more - all focused together on making Octopus the go-to name in green home installations. And we’re looking for smart individuals with an interest in the space who can help us make it happen.
We’re looking for someone who’s passionate about code, excited by teaching and leading others, and eager to put their skills towards making a difference. Someone who can challenge those around them, and be challenged, while delivering delightful experiences for our internal and external customers. You’ll be working alongside other talented people in the tech department, solving problems with technology to make us, and the industry, smarter and better for customers.
What you'll have:
- A very strong knowledge of our stack, listed below
- Experience taking problems, rather than strict guidelines, and developing strong solutions
- Confidence tackling large-scale tasks individually
- An empathetic approach to delegating work and collaborating with others
- The ability to develop websites that meet strong accessibility guidelines
- Experience building scalable, performant sites that handle high levels of traffic well
Handy, but not essential:
- Experience leading teams or mentoring other developers
- Experience working on a multi-national codebase
- Previous experience in the energy industry
- GraphQL & Apollo
- Styled Components & SASS
- Jest & React Testing Library
- Xstate (desirable)
Why else you'll love it here:
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we we're voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
We would prefer someone who can work in our London office but will consider remote candidates. However, you do need to be able to work in the UK.
We're very excited to be growing our team. We're looking for skills and experience to help shape and define the future of not only our team, but the wider business at a global scale. If you're reading this and grinning, please apply! There are huge challenges to tackle, and we need amazing people who are keen to get stuck in.
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.