Senior Data Analyst
IT, Data Science
Posted on Tuesday, August 1, 2023
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
At Octopus Energy for Business (OEB) we help UK small businesses flourish. Our smart green energy products bring together amazing levels of customer service, fair and transparent pricing, and innovative tariff structures, to turbocharge the SME sector’s transition to net zero and cheaper bills. To us, small businesses are the heartbeat of British society and communities, and we are passionate about supporting them and seeing them succeed.
We are on a rapid growth trajectory, radically disrupting the business energy market for the better, just as we’ve done with household energy. Due to our growth (+100% in the last 12 months), we now have a scale that requires a more accomplished approach to data across all areas. The role will manage a small team of analysts and be responsible for improving the way OEB accesses, stores, analyses, displays and uses data.
What you'll do:
- Support OEB’s commercial activity through data analysis and insight, in relation to pricing, hedging, debt management, and financial forecasting
- Support OEB’s operational and customer reporting, e.g. through report automation to improve business decisions and customer experience
- Use data to identify growth and innovation opportunities for OEB
- Use analytics to measure the effectiveness of campaigns and product trials
- Improve and maintain the accessibility of all BI metrics to OEB’s leaders
- Set the agenda and lead improvements in how OEB accesses, stores, analyses, displays, and uses data
- Build tools that can be 'self-serve' for team members with frequently-repeated tasks
- Manage OEB’s small team of data analysts and support the development of their technical data skills, across Python, SQL, and spreadsheet programmes
- Support the development of a data specialism within our customer operations team
What you’ll need:
- To have an accomplished skillset in Python, SQL, and spreadsheet programmes
- A high level of data literacy and numeracy skills
- The capacity to make sense of lots of data and shape it into a coherent story
- The ability to build and maintain reports and dashboards using BI tools such as Tableau
- Great attention to detail and ability to communicate complex ideas clearly
- People management skills and experience dealing with senior stakeholders
- A passion for working in energy and contributing to the energy transition
- Curiosity and self-drive
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.