Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2023
More recently, we have acquired the green energy start up Umeme in order to bring the green energy revolution to the Spanish market. Read more HERE.
It's in making this vision a reality that we are looking for you to help us achieve this.
Welcome to the future of energy
We are both an electricity retailer and a tech platform and we think there is no better way to address our greatest challenge, climate change, than with the combination of those two.
Through our proprietary tech platform, Kraken, we are changing the way people interact with their energy company - by making it approachable, low cost, easy-to-understand, and most importantly, 100% renewable. We’ve distinguished ourselves by being named 2020’s Energy Provider of the Year, which highlights our commitment to exceptional customer service. In many markets we are a leading employer on Glassdoor for best places to work.
As a Legal Advisor for an energy supplier in the Spanish market, you will be responsible for providing strategic legal advice and regulatory compliance to ensure compliance with laws and regulations applicable to the company. Your main task will be to protect the legal and business interests of the energy supplier while ensuring that all business activities are conducted in accordance with established legal requirements.
What you'll do
- Research and analyze applicable energy legislation and regulations in the Spanish market, and stay updated on relevant legal changes and developments
- Provide legal advice on matters related to the operation of the company, including contracts, commercial agreements, licenses, and permits.
- Review and draft contracts and other legal documents to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and the company's interests.
- Identify legal risks and provide recommendations to mitigate them.
- Collaborate with other departments, such as the regulatory department, to ensure that the company's policies and practices align with legal requirements.
- Represent the company in negotiations and litigation, when necessary.
- Maintain strong relationships with external legal advisors and regulatory authorities.
What you'll have
- Bachelor's degree in Law and licensed to practice law in Spain.
- Previous experience as a legal advisor in the energy sector or a related energy company.
- In-depth knowledge of applicable energy legislation and regulations in the Spanish market.
- Experience in drafting and reviewing contracts and other legal documents.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate legal risks and provide practical recommendations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both Spanish and English.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work autonomously.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and ever-changing environment.
What you'll love about us
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
We would prefer someone who can work in our Spain (Valencia) office but will consider remote candidates (warning: the bar is much higher). You do need to be able to work in Spain/EU without a VISA though.
Above all, we’re looking for someone who thrives on providing alternative opinions, challenging those around them and being challenged.