Data Lead - Octopus Electroverse
Posted on Sunday, July 9, 2023
About Octopus Electroverse
We’re making electric vehicle ownership as smart and as simple as possible, by building the giant, virtual charging platform of the future.
In just over two years, Octopus Electroverse has grown to become one of the largest eMobility players in Europe, with over 650,000 connected electric vehicle chargers and a customer ecosystem spanning web, iOS, Android, CarPlay, Android Auto & Automotive OS, and more.
But it’s just the start: we’re busy launching in new countries, working with more automotive and tech partners, building exciting new features at scale, and creating the integrated charging experiences of the future - all in the name of making public EV charging super simple for customers.
Electroverse is a multifunctional team made up of product, development, commercial, operations, marketing, partnerships and more - all focused together on making Octopus the go-to name in EV charging. And we’re looking for smart individuals with an interest in the space who can help us make it happen.
We’re looking for a Data Lead to join the Electroverse team. With a technical skill set and experience in building data products, you're ready for a new challenge in the rapidly growing EV space. This is a great opportunity to help solve a diverse range of data and business challenges, including defining the team approach to data analysis and structure as we scale, scoping and building new data products, speaking to external clients on data opportunities, defining - whilst looking across charging data, data quality, market intelligence, financial analysis, sales modeling and operational efficiency.
You’ll take responsibility for the data function as part of the Electroverse team, whilst also being able to get stuck in to create and build the data opportunities you identify. This is a chance to make a big impact on a rapidly growing part of Octopus.
We run a modern cloud data platform made up of the below components:
- AWS cloud infrastructure
- Databricks Delta Lake for data lake and warehouse storage and querying
- dbt for data modelling and transformations
- Spark for large data processing
- Python data ecosystem as main scripting and analytics language
- PostgreSQL with PostGIS and Elastic for spatial data processing
- Jupyter and Jupyter Hub for notebook analytics and collaboration
- Airflow for task scheduling
- Google Analytics, Amplitude and Firebase for client applications event processing
- Kubernetes for data services and task orchestration
- Github, Circle CI, Grafana and Prometheus for version control, deployment and monitoring
What you'll do...
- Take overall responsibility for the emerging data function within Octopus Electroverse
- Be the interface between the business activities and our data approach: you’ll help shape and build our data products, external reporting, analytics & MI, etc.
- Manage a small data team, guiding and mentoring other team members
- Identify and help build our overall data capability to help make the Electroverse product more reliable, more insightful, and best-in-class: help us build the best charging platform on the planet and delight EV drivers and Octopus clients alike
- Get stuck in to the build, e.g. building and maintaining the dbt codebase to manage data transformations, build BI dashboards and data apps to view and analyse data
- Work with colleagues across Electroverse - for example the engineering and commercial teams - to develop different models/approaches/analysis
What you'll have...
- Experience with creating data products from scratch and leading a small data team
- Experience in working on collaborative projects with business teams, including technical project management and working with an agile - or similar - approach.
- Knowledgeable in data science (SQL, Python, pandas/numpy, Databricks/Jupyter Notebooks etc), ideally with experience of production environments and working with large data datasets.
- You don’t need to be deeply familiar with the EV market and products (we can teach that), but a general understanding of how energy markets and electric vehicle infrastructure operate is a good start
- Be comfortable working with some ambiguity: Octopus Electroverse is busy scaling and as such specific responsibilities, projects and focus will evolve over time
- Be curious and self driven - it’s essential you have the initiative to make decisions yourself, and can find solutions to novel problems without lots of help and support
- Be highly data literate and numerate - can make sense of lots of data and shape it into a coherent story
- Be a problem solver - you’ll need to be able to listen and understand the problems and requirements of the business and come up with pragmatic data solutions
- Have an interest in the business space and mission of Octopus and Electroverse - we’re a passionate team looking to help with the renewable and EV transition!
Why else you'll love about us
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we we're voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
We would prefer someone who can work in our London office but will consider remote candidates. However, you do need to be able to work in the UK.
We're very excited to be growing our team. We're looking for skills and experience to help shape and define the future of not only our team, but the wider business at a global scale. If you're reading this and grinning, please apply! There are huge challenges to tackle, and we need amazing people who are keen to get stuck in.
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.