Senior Data Analyst
IT, Data Science
Posted on Friday, July 7, 2023
About the role
At Octopus, we’ve led the way in innovating new ways to price energy to give customers more control over their energy costs, stamp out the loyalty penalty seen in much of the industry and engage customers to use energy when it is greenest and cheapest. We’re looking for a smart, passionate analyst to join within our data science team to help us manage and develop our energy products.
Our team takes a technology and data driven approach to managing our complex pricing portfolio. We apply modern open data and analytics tools like Python, Pandas and Jupyter notebooks to build pricing tools and models. We’re passionate about automating work loads and processes so we can concentrate on the interesting problems. We’re looking for someone who is equally motivated by using technology to solve problems.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work on problems that genuinely move us closer to Net Zero with a company that is passionate about building great technology and products that change the way customers use energy.
What you’ll be doing
- Your focus will be on analytics, blending a data analyst role with an analytics engineer: you’ll work across the whole data lifecycle to bring insights to teams such as operations, sales, and marketing.
- Work with different teams to understand priorities and data requirements, and scope new data projects and products
- Build & main new data tools including data apps, dashboards, reports and automation pipelines
- One-off analyses and deep dives, and present actionable findings
- Work closely with other parts of the data science and data platform team and be an active contributor in the global Octopus data community
- Advocate for a culture of transparency, trust, reliability and reproducibility in data
What you'll have
- +4 years of experience as a Data Analyst.
- We don’t need prior energy supplier experience (we can teach that)
- Passionate about working in energy and contributing to the energy transition
- Curious and self driven - when faced with a new problem is capable of seeking out an answer without lots of help and support
- Highly data literate and numerate - can make sense of lots of data and shape it into a coherent story
- Has great attention to detail
- Communicates complex ideas clearly
- Is passionate about building robust and useable tools
- Experience with a scripting language Python
- Has experience with wrangling data outside of a spreadsheet environment and writing performant queries in SQL
- Experience building reports and dashboards.
- Spanish & English
What you'll love about us
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here.
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Bi-weekly on a Thursday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
¿Te preguntas cuál es el salario de este puesto? Pregúntanos abiertamente. En la llamada con el equipo de selección siempre hablamos de esta cuestión ya que realmente queremos que tu experiencia coincida con el salario correcto. La razón por la que no hacemos publicidad es porque tenemos bastante flexibilidad y nunca querríamos que el salario fuera una razón por la que alguien no se presentará a Octopus Energy - ¡lo que es más importante para nosotros es encontrar el octofit adecuado!