Lead Software Engineer
Houston, TX, USA
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2023
The energy industry is undergoing the largest transformation since industrialisation at an unprecedented rate of change and we are positioning ourselves to be at the heart of that change.
Our aim is to be the leading global provider of solutions that enable customers to release £30bn of value per annum from distributed energy resources (DERs). We are building a Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription business with a global addressable market of £2.4 billion per annum, by digitally connecting hundreds of thousands of DERs with energy markets.
We have already attained a market leading position and KrakenFlex is a recognised thought leader and innovator in the industry. Our efforts have not gone unnoticed and we are pleased to announce that we now have the full support and backing of Octopus Energy, an award-winning UK energy supplier who share our passion and values.
As we expand our international footprint to take KrakenFlex’s offerings to customers around the globe, we’re looking for an exceptional technical team lead who will cultivate a fantastic developer team experience and continuously deliver features that provide value to our customers.
Our ideal technical team lead would be an individual who loves to engage with interesting software problems, is well versed in full-stack development and has the passion to build and shape the future within a collaborative, community-based environment. As a technical team lead, you will oversee a cross functional development team and be accountable for delivery of features; technical quality of code pushed to production; and stewardship of the microservices your team is responsible for. We operate a lean organization with a highly agile development approach and you'll manage a team of full stack software engineers, ensuring they’re happy, productive & grow in line with their career aspirations.
What you'll do
- Lead a team of full stack developers to deliver quality features of value to our customers
- Design, build and maintain high performance, reusable & reliable codeEnsure the best possible performance, reliability and quality of the KrakenFlex platform
- Ensure solutions built compliment the existing core platform services
- Ensure that the team is able to support the services it builds
- Be hands on! Contribute to development across the entire stack from the front end down to the infrastructure that the platform runs on
- Drive our software engineering culture, working closely with other technical team leads across the organisation
- Line manage a team of full stack developers, motivating them and cultivating a transparent & supportive environment where they can ask questions and raise concerns
- Coach & mentor junior engineers via pairing, design review & code review
- Collaborate regularly with colleagues with many different specialities to create innovative solutions that delight our customers and colleagues
What you'll need
- Exceptional amount of industry experience in software development & design
- Proven experience in one or more of the following: Typescript, Node.Js
- Experience with AWS or similar cloud providers, or serverless technologies e.g. AWS Lambda, Kinesis, DynamoDB, API Gateway
- Experience developing, securing or operating cloud scale applications or infrastructure; ideally terraform or cloudformation
- Proven experience leading and line managing high performance teams
- A drive to get things done in a collaborative, agile development environment
- A proven ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent analytical and multitasking skills
- Excellent communication, motivational & interpersonal skills with ability to work effectively across functions (product, data science etc)
- Familiarity with React would be an advantage
- Experience of operating in a DevOps culture would be an advantage
Why else you'll love it here
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options including FSAs.
- Paid time off — we know working hard means also being able to recharge as needed, we trust our employees to get the work done and take the time they need.
- 401(k) plan with employer match.
- Parental leave. Biological, adoptive and foster parents are all eligible.
- Pre-tax commuter benefits.
- Flexible working environment: you need to shift around your schedule? You do you, we genuinely believe in work/life balance.
- Equity Options: every Octopus employee owns part of the business. We’re a team, working together towards huge goals. Every person is crucial to our success, you should be rewarded as such.
- Modern office or co-working spaces depending on location.
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! When on a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.