Frontend Developer - Kraken Technologies
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2023
Kraken is the technology tentacle of the Octopus Energy Group.
Energy is changing.
For years, it was an industry dominated by large suppliers using outdated systems that put profits first and customers last. Now, we’re using the latest technology and green generation to transform energy for customers, bringing the UK cheaper, greener, and fairer energy.
We enjoy the best of both worlds: backing from a £6bn business of highly experienced and talented individuals, and the dynamic environment of a start-up.
We are the only Which? recommended energy supplier for 2019, the uSwitch supplier of the year, Energy Awards supplier of the year, and UK customer experience award winner for utilities.
You’ll be working for a company that’s fighting climate change. We’re the largest investor in solar generation in the UK, and are funding wind and anaerobic digestion. We’re helping people to use greener technology and renewable energy, all helping move the UK towards a lower carbon future.
And for big change, we need big minds.
We’re looking for someone who’s passionate about code, curious, and eager to learn. You’ll be working alongside other talented people in the tech department. You’ll solve problems with technology to make us, and the industry, smarter and better for customers.
All technology is written and maintained by a multi-discipline engineering team of around 500 people globally. This includes server-side, client-side and mobile engineers working closely with UX experts, copywriters and designers.
We follow a Kanban-like approach, using Google docs and Asana to specify and manage work; Github, CircleCI and Terraform Enterprise as part of an immutable-infrastructure, continuous delivery pipeline; and Loggly, Sentry and Cloudwatch to measure performance and monitor production.
Some of our coding conventions are open-source .
Octopus is a great place to learn, work with some talented engineers and level-up your skills.
On the server-side, we mainly use Python. Most of our websites are powered by Django, Django-REST-framework and GraphQL (Graphene).
Client-side, we use React, Redux and SASS; our mobile apps are built using native code or React Native.
What you'll have
- Can write solid, semantic HTML and have experience writing SASS
- Have experience in crafting mobile-first responsive sites for a range of devices
- Know how to develop websites that meet AAA accessibility guidelines.
- Can create code that works consistently across different browsers and platforms
- Can take Photoshop/Sketch designs and bring them to life in code
- Experience with the Django templating language a plus
- GraphQL & Apollo
- Styled components & SASS
- Jest & React Testing Library
- Django/Python (server-side and templating)
We’re looking for someone who thrives on solving tough problems. Someone who can challenge those around them, and be challenged, while delivering delightful experiences for our internal and external customers.
What you'll love about us...
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we we're voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
We would prefer someone who can work in our Valencia office but will consider remote candidates for some of our teams. However, you do need to be able to work in the Spain.
We're very excited to be growing our team. We're looking for skills and experience to help shape and define the future of not only our team, but the wider business at a global scale. If you're reading this and grinning, please apply! There are huge challenges to tackle, and we need amazing people who are keen to get stuck in.