R&D / Mechanical Engineer
Posted on Thursday, June 8, 2023
We’re on a mission to invest in people, ideas and industries that will change the world. Octopus Energy is the global tech pioneer using our in house technology platform, Kraken Tech, to unlock a Customer focused and affordable green energy revolution.
We’re changing the energy system globally, spearheading the transition to greener, cheaper energy through the installation of in-home technologies.
We have phenomenal growth plans, and we need enablers to help deliver our aspirations at speed and scale. It’s a unique culture where people learn, decide and build quicker, where people work with autonomy alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground.
At Octopus Energy Heating we’re developing a home heating revolution through innovative heat pumps which will significantly reduce reliance on fossil fuels and bring a cleaner more sustainable world. We are setting up the first (of multiple) manufacturing premises in Portadown and if you want to help us bring this technology to the market at scale and speed, then read on…
We have an exciting opportunity for a R&D/Mechanical Engineer to join our Octopus Energy Group team in Portadown.
As a key member of our innovative and rapidly growing team, you'll be responsible for designing world-changing heat pumps and their production at scale. If you're passionate about renewable energy and eager to make a positive impact on the planet, this role is perfect for you!
Please note: this role will be based on-site in Portadown, Monday - Friday
What you'll do
- Create attractive, quality products that are cost-effective, reliable and user-friendly
- Develop and support products throughout their lifecycle, including design, testing, certification, manufacturing and aftersales
- Test and evaluate prototypes to determine suitability of products and components
- Produce models, drawings, specification, bills of materials and technical literature
- Liaise with suppliers to identify and source components and drive innovation
- Resolve product issues which may arise during design, manufacture and/or in service
What you'll need
- A relevant engineering degree
- Minimum 2-3 years' industrial experience in the UK, ideally in heating or cooling manufacturing
- It would be great if you had knowledge of heat pump technology, however, this is not essential
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we we're voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
Working at Octopus Energy Group is more than just a job. It's an opportunity to be part of a passionate team that is driving the transition to a cleaner, greener future. We offer a friendly and inclusive work environment that encourages collaboration, innovation, and personal growth.
If you're excited about making a real difference and want to be involved in the production of cutting-edge heat pumps, we would love to hear from you! Join us at Octopus Energy Group in Portadown and help shape the future of sustainable energy.
To apply, please send us your CV and a short cover letter highlighting your relevant experience and qualifications. We look forward to hearing from you.
We're very excited at this opportunity. We're looking for the passion, skills and experience to help shape and define the future of energy and business at a global scale. If you're reading this and grinning and want to bring this technology to the market at scale and speed, then we would love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.