Project Director - Green Hydrogen
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2023
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
This is a high-profile opportunity for a skilled energy project development professional to co-lead an innovative joint-venture. You will work on behalf of and be supported by leading UK clean energy investors to deliver the UK’s first industrial green hydrogen projects and to help scale the HYRO business.
The HYRO joint venture has been established between funds managed by Octopus Energy Generation (OEGEN) and RES UK & Ireland. It has plans to deliver 700MW of ready to build green hydrogen capacity in GB by 2030.
HYRO is developing green hydrogen projects in GB to support the decarbonisation of industry. It is a 50:50 JV between OEGEN funds and RES and is responsible for delivering the projects from inception to a ready to build status.
The role will be based between the Octopus Energy offices in London and the RES offices in Kings Langley. Whilst it is anticipated you will carry out your work leading the team from your base, you should anticipate travelling in the UK for up to 50% of the time in some weeks, and to destinations in Europe from time to time.
As the Project Director, you will be expected to take the co-leading role in the HYRO joint venture (alongside the RES project director) and to take responsibility for Octopus’ efforts and commitments to the JV and its projects. You will be employed by ORI JV Holdings 6 Limited (“ORI JV”) – the development entity established by ORIT and Sky, the OEGEN managed funds that are backing the HYRO JV. You will be the day-to-day lead for all of the workstreams that the Octopus JV team is responsible for delivering in the JV. These include;
- all commercial aspects of projects – power purchase agreements, hydrogen offtake agreements, customer origination and relationship management, funding;
- ensuring the bankability of the project pipeline through a robust contract suite, and delivering this as a scalable proposition;
- oversight of the procurement activities for projects;
- oversight of the technical development aspects of the projects;
- management of key stakeholders including investors, government, offtakers, regulatory bodies, planning officials, market participants.
- Interface with government bodies as part of subsidy discussions and (where applicable) lead negotiations with these parties for project subsidy contracts.
- Preparation of project and team budgets
- Project governance and approval processes
- Interface with and reporting to HYRO board and funders of HYRO
What you'll need
- Good experience as an energy professional to act as the JV lead for Octopus
- An independent leader that is comfortable working autonomously with high levels of project risk and uncertainty
- Demonstrated experience leading a team of development professionals to deliver key commercial and technical workstreams. These include but are not limited to;
- Offtake contract structuring, Power Purchase Agreement structuring, Origination of new opportunities, Interaction with government and regulatory bodies, Oversight of engineering workstreams including equipment procurement
- Experience in hydrogen is desirable but not essential. Knowledge of the hydrogen market and familiarity with different end-use cases preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working with/for renewable energy developers and investors.
- Demonstrated experience across the following is strongly preferred;
- Project management and monitoring;
- Track record in managing/delivering complex projects;
- Project governance including forecasting, budgeting, and investor reporting. Familiarity and experience with investment committee governance and processes strongly preferred;
- Managing and mitigating key energy project development risks through the project lifecycle along with a clear approach for documenting and reporting on such risks;
- origination, development, and structuring of strong customer relationships and the development of offtake contracts (such as power or gas);
- Experience working with regulators and/or government departments focused on energy (desirable but not essential).
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.