Backend Developer Python - Kraken technologies
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2022
Kraken is the technology tentacle of the Octopus Energy Group.
Our mission is to provide cheaper, greener energy to the French market.
Octopus Energy France is a fast-growing energy company recognized as an ESS (social economy).
We offer a better experience to our customers through transparency, honesty and simplicity. We want to do better for the planet, through real, long-term investment in renewable energy production and a low-CO2 future that's better for our customers' wallets. We want to revolutionize the energy business through our people, our platform and our use of data.
Our focus is on customer satisfaction, and receiving positive reviews is important to us - we have the best score among French energy suppliers on Google Reviews and Trust Pilot.
Kraken Technologies is a company within Octopus Energy Group who are licensing the Kraken platform and operating model to clients across the world. Current clients are both the Octopus Energy retails businesses around the world as well as external clients such as Good Energy, Origin, EDF, E.ON & Queensland Energy - with many more expected to join over the next few years!
All technology is written and maintained by a multi-discipline engineering team of around 450 people globally. This includes server-side, client-side and mobile engineers working closely with UX experts, copywriters and designers.
We follow a Kanban-like approach, using Google docs and Asana to specify and manage work; Github, CircleCI and Terraform Enterprise as part of an immutable-infrastructure, continuous delivery pipeline; and Loggly, Sentry and Cloudwatch to measure performance and monitor production.
Some of our coding conventions are open-source.
Octopus is a great place to learn, work with some talented engineers and level-up your skills.
On the server-side, we mainly use Python. Most of our websites are powered by Django, Django-REST-framework and GraphQL (Graphene).
We use AWS heavily, employing most of the "Hashistack" (eg Packer, Consul, Terraform) as part of a continuous deployment pipeline. See, for example, Django, ELB health checks and continuous delivery.
Client-side, we use React, Redux and SASS; our mobile apps are built using native code or React Native.
What you'll do
We have lots of difficult design challenges to solve. The French energy market is complicated, outdated and process-heavy - there's an awful lot of domain modelling that we need to get right. Strong attention to detail is essential.
We have difficult technical problems to solve. With the advent of smart meters, we'll soon be processing millions of meter readings a day. We need the right technology in place to handle this smoothly as well as feeding data into a machine learning pipeline that models and predicts consumption.
You'll be working for a company that’s fighting climate change.
As a supplier, we're helping people to use greener technology and renewable energy, all helping move the French market towards a lower carbon future.
What you'll have
We're looking for someone with a general interest in technology and problem-solving; someone diligent and thoughtful.
It would be helpful to have experience/expertise in the following (in rough priority order):
- Django (or equiv. web framework)
- Fluent in French, and lever B2 at least in English
- Domain modelling
- HTTP and REST APIs
- Writing robust and fault-tolerant software
- Celery and async processing
- You can attend our 2 on-site days per week at the Paris office
- Terraform, Packer, Consul
- React and Redux
Plus experience in the following would be a bonus:
What you'll love about us
- Wondering what the salary is for this position? Ask us! During our initial contact, this is something we always bring up, because we really want to match your experience with the right salary. The reason we don't talk about it here is that we have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy has a unique culture: we won the award for Best Company to Work For in 2022, on Glassdoor UK we were voted one of the 50 Best Places to Work in 2022 and our CEO, Greg, recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our employees. In 2023, we were named one of the 100 best companies to work for in the Sunday Times. In France, we were awarded the Happy at Work label, and ranked eighteenth out of a total of 1,675 structures in the category of companies where employees find the most meaning.
- We are an organization where people learn, decide and build faster. Where they work autonomously, with extraordinary people, on innovative projects. Profit-sharing, flex-office, excellent mutual insurance, soft mobility package, coverage of part of the "pass navigo" above the legal minimum, and even special days off to invest in an associative project that's close to your heart... we want your investment to be rewarded by benefits you really care about!
At Octopus, we're looking for people who are genuinely caring and empathetic. Equal opportunities are important to us, and we're committed to providing an inclusive and fair working environment. We invite you to apply, whatever your age, gender, marital status, color, disability, pregnancy or parenthood, origin, religious beliefs or sexual orientation.