Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2022
Kraken is the technology tentacle of the Octopus Energy Group.
What is TechOps?
A more modern, more lean version of a traditional enterprise IT team. We cover everything from what most people would call “1st line support” all the way up to high-level strategic planning, and everything in between.
We are very excited to be building a small and efficient TechOps team at Octopus. We are looking for an ambitious, knowledgeable and experienced Generalist to join our team to grow with the rest of the company and ensure we are doing so in a secure and safe way.
We will be tackling big problems and the breadth of work will be huge. Dealing with ambiguity will be a key part of this role and every day will be a new and exciting one working on varying challenges across the company. We work with almost 100% cloud infrastructure which means you’ll be working with many different tools across every area of the business.
A big part of the role will be ensuring our incredible employees are able to do their job as efficiently as possible. We will be supporting them as best we can to make sure their problems are also our problems. We will always prioritise giving human, friendly support over SLAs or ticket numbers and we strive to give such a nice experience our people will want to come back to chat to us in the future.
You will be a key partner in defining what TechOps is at Octopus. We will be shaping this team to provide a world class support service to our employees, building our way out of problems with engineering firepower and undertaking transformational organisational change so all of Octopus can grow in a safe and efficient manner.
Roles that you might currently be in: Desktop support analyst, 1st line support, 2nd line support, Systems engineer, DevOps, Tech support, Technical support, Technical support analyst, IT support, IT desktop support, Systems Administrator, Network Administrator, Workplace technology, Solutions specialist, Solutions administrator, Systems manager, Support manager.
What you'll have
- Experienced technical lead on a range of projects across various technologies and platforms
- A deep understanding of both Windows & macOS and troubleshooting is natural and enjoyable for you.
- Enjoy playing with scripts, APIs and strive to automate mundane, error-prone repetitive tasks.
- Comfortable with a huge amount of ambiguity and spinning a lot of plates all at the same time.
- Excited to interact with all areas of Octopus, working with multiple teams to bring better ways of working to the business.
- Knowledge of our tech stack is a plus; python, django, AWS.
- Windows management experience (Autopilot/Intune).
- macOS management experience (Apple’s Automated Device Enrolment (ADE)/any MDM - we use Kandji).
- Identity & Access Management - we use Okta and Google Workplace.
- An understanding or ideally experience administering Single Sign-On (SSO) technologies such as OAuth and SAML.
- Understanding of identity provisioning technologies such as SCIM.
- Networking experience to support our offices - we use Cisco Meraki.
- You're excited about embracing all the challenges we're facing and working on at Octopus Energy!
What you'll love about us
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
This role can be either fully office based in London, or a hybrid of a few days a week working remotely and office based. We need an extra pair of hands to help our ever growing office in London and therefore we unfortunately cannot offer this role as fully remote. The London office is based on Oxford Street.
We're very excited to be growing our small team. We're looking for skills and experience to help shape and define the future of not only our team, but the wider business at a global scale. If you're reading this and grinning, please apply! There are huge challenges to tackle, and we need amazing people who are keen to get stuck in.
The salary range for this role is quite wide. We are looking for the right person, not a specific level or amount of experience. Therefore, depending on previous experience and technical ability, we will be offering a salary of between £50-65k.
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.