Refrigeration Systems Design Engineer
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2022
Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
Our ambition is to help put the world on the path to Net Zero. Through our R&D team, we’re working on exciting projects that will directly impact the future of renewable energy. Our R&D team is now rapidly expanding and we’re looking for determined people to join us our mission. It is not only pure engineering knowledge that we are looking for; we are very keen on candidates with a can-do attitude and a real desire to make the world a better place. We want you to feel you that you are contributing to an important mission and we want you to develop yourself. You will have excellent training opportunities and a fantastic place to grow as a professional.
What you'll do
- Work on designing and developing brand new products related to the electrification ofheat.
- Work in the state of the art Octopus Energy Research & Development Centre.
- Join an established team of Mechanical and Control Engineers.
- Guide the design aspects of refrigeration systems in various R&D projects
What you'll need
- An undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or any similar area.
- A good theoretical knowledge of refrigerant cycles (e.g. interpreting P-h curves, calculating cycle efficiencies, and performing heat transfer calculations).
- Experience with refrigerant selection and an understanding of their relative merits and disadvantages.
- Knowledge of F-GAS refrigeration standards and certifications – e.g, EN378.
- Competency with refrigeration system design software, such as REFPROP or AFT Fathom.
- An understanding of variable speed compressors and other advances in refrigeration technology.
- Experience of selecting components, such as compressors, expansion valves, heat exchangers, etc.
- Practical experience and an appreciation of the challenges involved in putting together a complete refrigeration system.
- The ability to read and create P&IDs
It would be great if you had
- Working experience with mechanical CAD software, such as Solidworks, AutoCAD, etc.
- An understanding of auxiliary equipment that interface with refrigerant circuits.
- Experience with material compatibility and selection for refrigeration systems. (e.g. lubrication)
- Hands-on experience of fault detection and diagnostics in refrigeration circuits.
- An understanding of DFMA.
- Some understanding of control methodologies for refrigerant systems
What you'll love about us
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about!
- What do you get? Click here
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.